Sign in to follow this  

Newbie Gmax book recommendation requested

Any recommendations on the best book -- if any -- to purchase for someone just beginning FS2002 Gmax scenery design would be appreciated ( ... or would online tutorials be just as good?)Thanks,Grant

Grant, I recommend both. for a bit, do the tutorials, as many as you can find. do this for a week or so. The book I bought was 3dsmax by Michelle Matosin (sp?) Its been great. nearly all of the info applies to gmax.I read a horrible review last night on the only gmax book available at amazon.Bob B

Funny, I probably have the same book by Michele Matossian (although I have a Dutch version). I agree that a 3DS Max book is a good option, as the interface and the way of thinking with both program is about the same.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Pardue802

There's another book on Amazon right now that's not yet available to order, the GMAX handbook. Reading the description makes it seem like a much more impressive book than the GMAX Bible's description (that's the one with the bad review--which seems to be a guy just ticked off that it didn't go into greater depth for his particular game).Here's the link:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books

Thanks to all for the suggestions, and for the interesting exchange. I did check out the Gmax Bible book on Amazon (contents and index), and it does look pretty hokey. I'll follow up on the Michelle Matossian book, probably too the Handbook when it comes out -- both sound good. In the meantime, it's on to the tutorials -- and what I hope is going to turn out to be an unavoidable complexity in the program itself ...!Thanks again. Onwards ... Cheers,Grant

Great, thanks ... the MS site is full of essential basic stuff I'd richoceted through a year or so ago then forgotten about. The Kiwi site seems a very good basic one, and have been returning there the last few days. Fine scenery. Best wishes on climbing this little precipice ... (hey, others have been there before). Cheers, Grant