Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barney1

Scasm and long file names

Guest Barney1

I came across this while doing some investigating of a *.bgl file. In an attempt to compile a revised *.sca file with SCASM 2.88 and in a DOS prompt, I kept getting an error message with respect to the line(s) describing a *.bmp file being applied. In order to get rid of the error message, I found I had to shorten the name of the *.bmp to 8 characters. Is this a restriction inherent with Scasm? BTW, the line used the older style of text; that is, Bitmap(..... etc. ) rather than the later style usually employed which resembles this: LoadBitmap(.......etc.). Could this make a difference?

Hi Barney,I know for sure that the LoadBitmap command does not have this limitation, I did a small test with Bitmap and it indeed seems to have the limitation in the file length. I guess it is better to use LoadBitmap then.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Barney1

Thanks Arno; it has been so long since I've dabbled in Scasm that I couldn't recall ever having come across this before. On the other hand, it has also been a while since I've done anything with the LoadBitmap command, that I wasn't altogether sure if it was affected by a character limitation as well, or not!! I guess it somehow relates to something I recall from early on when I first began designing scenery with Airport 2.10 several years ago: keeping file names of all extensions to 8 characters was the safest thing to do since when compiling a *.bgl, Scasm couldn't handle anything beyond that limit.I'm looking at retiring in mid-June.....I think I better get back into designing quickly before I've forgotten it all!!