Sign in to follow this  

Ground2k, moving lakes

Hi, In my hometown a lake is at wrong place and the shape is totally wrong. I would like to recreate this one and also add a new one. I start with 5802.jpg and ended up in 5803.jpg with a bad lake.There must be a right order to do things. and what is the right order.As you see I first create a polygon around the old lake and filled with land and that works well. When I create a new polygon covering parts of the old lake I don't get water in the whole lake. Why?I have these problem better described on my homesite at http://w1.363.telia.com/~u36303025/sim/not...l_Ground2k.html so please look there for more information.RegardsJonny

Hi Jonny.Ground2K has the ability to areafill a 1x1 LOD13 Area. The button marked 'F1' ( which is on by default at startup ) is the right button. Then, doubleclick on the cell you would like to fill. This brings a popup form, and this is how you fill an LOD13 Area with land. I'm attaching a jpg to show the right setting.When I rework LWM ( land/water masks ), I fill with land as much as I need, then I carve out the water with polys. It's the first thing I do in a project. This forces the landclass to display generously over all the water-mask shapes I'll be working on. If an entire area is to be water ( or land ) and is already water ( or land ) in the default, I can just leave it alone. So, it is the border Areas, where water and land meet, that need land-filling. This filling also will reveal if I have a problem with a landclass being assigned as a water value... I can then change it to land with a new landclass file.I want to make sure that all the default water is covered with land in the Areas I rework. This assures no surprises in the water-masking.Christian has set his program to place the areafills first in the ASM code for each Area... so it can be filled at any point in the Ground2K design process. Don't worry about what the land will look like here... it will be filled by the current landclass.LWM code has more options than just 1x1 fills. I usually make a separate BGL for the fills in my projects. I call it aaAFfilename.bgl, so it is executed before the other LWM bgls.... this assures landmass covers all the areas I plan on reworking with the water-masking polys in project. I do this because Ground2k can only cover 1x1 areas. If your project is an LOD8 size, you might need dozens, or even hundreds of 1x1 fills to cover all the Areas that will eventually have watermask polys. o avoid the tedium of all that clicking and assigning of landfills, I hand-code my fills.For your project, you should be able to land-fill within Ground2k, the 5 Areas that the original lake covers. Then make the water-mask polys ( with shorelines ) to bring back the correct water shape.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/5834.jpgThe only other concern, is how you made that land poly that covered the lake. If it had a Layer of 4-7, it would not have covered the water. If it is between Layer 4-7, then you have a problem with the order of how the polys are drawn.My suggestion would be to get rid of that land poly... whether it be VTP1 or VTP2, then areafill1x1 the 5 Areas of the old lake. I believe that Ground2k will then correctly fill first, then mask off your water. Dick

Hi Dick,Thanks for the information.When doing things in the right order everything works fine so far.Until I tried to move the shoreline for the bigg lake. As you can see in the attachments there is a small pice of land in the top of area 8:20. Why?I had all these areas filled with land. I also excluded layer 4, 8, 16, 31 and 32 in these areas.What is the right order to do when I would like to move the shoreline in the bigger lake? As you can see the old lake, the new lake and the big lake are all in areas 7:20 and 8:20.Later on I will continue to rebuild parts of the shoreline for the big lake close to my town./Jonny