Sign in to follow this  
arno

Need some ideas on creating airport ground textures

I am making a small aerodrome as the basis of a GMAX airport tutorial which will appear in the next issue of my Godzone Virtual Flight magazine. Although this mainly relates to GMAX, I do wish to include brief techniques and tips on all aspects of airport design. The airfield in question is built on a photo-real ground texture, but I need some way to include taxiways (just a dirt track really) and concrete aprons. The non-modelling bits are being done in FS Architect, but I am not satisfied with the results -- too FS2000ish.What do you guys suggest for a realistic effect here?The overall effect I'm after is something to match the photo-real ground and building textures, rather than a generic solution -- I have medium-resolution aerial photos of the airfield (as opposed to low-res 4.8m/px).My best solution at the moment is to tidy up the 4.8m/px ground textures to define it a bit more accurately. I am quite happy with the Architect grass runways -- they fit in nicely, and don't have the same flicker/disappear up close effect of the other Architect polygons.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have Found so many products for scenery design very Fs2000ish, but the one that really has make a step ahead is FSSC, get it and see how it supports the look and technology of FS2002, and is very user friendly, is the one I use for Aprons, Taxiways and Taxiway Lines.

Do I understand correct that you want to place some photos with a high resolution on the ground for the aprons etc? In that case I would make a simple SCASM file to just place these photos at the resolution you want. The only thing is that you need a flatten as well then.If you meant something else :), I must have understood it wrong. I don't use Architect myself, so I don't know how it compares to FSSC or GroundMaker, but I am happy with those two.