Sign in to follow this  
Guest gorchi

Ground2K - crash at dawn

Hi,I encountered a weird problem... FS2k2 crashes when I start it at dawn after installing a little modification made with Ground 2K. It's just a VTP1 poly filled with a custom texture (with seasonal variants) and a couple of areas filled with different than default LC. If I start during the day or night, FS will run normally.I use Gaia mesh and custom LC in this area, but that shouldn't be a problem...On a side note, how does the re-mesh thingie work? I played with it a lot and I can't seem to find a good way to place my elevation points. The grid (doesn't matter at which LOD), doesn't seem to be aligned with the grid that FS uses. I usually end up with "terraces" instead of uniformly sloping terrain - but not everywhere! In some parts, the slopes look just fine. Does choosing a certain LOD actually affect anything? Any and all help much appreciated! :)And... a big thanks for Ground2K, it's a wonderful tool!Regards,JureBush Flying Unlimited]"At home in the wild"[/i

Guest fumey

Dawn : no answer to be proposed; have you checked the format of your texture ?Mesh : put your points at the intersections of the grid. In a future release, I will force the user to key in at the intersections of the grid, +/- 2 pixels.The grid is aligned. It could be a bug, but the answer is certainly below :Keep in mind that you must choose a higher LOD that the mesh LOD of your scene (FS or third-party)Ground2k proposes a LOD in regard on your bitmap resolution; if the resolution is low, you can choose a higher LOD and use the ZOOM icon to be more precise.RegardsChristian

Christian,I tried 8-bit textures, DXT1 with and without mipmaps - always FS2k2 crashes if I start at dawn. I solved the problem by making the poly a VTP2 and assigned a corresponding landclass. All is well now (it is a forest, shaped like a half-circle, sitting in the middle of a mountain; quite a distinct landmark close to where I live).I will, however, make another test project just to get to the bottom of this. :)I will play more with the mesh as well and be more precise. I am sure I missed a few intersections!Christian, thank you for your answers! I am really enjoying Ground2K. :)Regards,JureBush Flying Unlimited]"At home in the wild"[/i

Hi!I had once similar problems, crashing at dawn....if I remember correctly the problem was related to naming the textures in VTP/LWM source file or that the textures were in the wrong folder or even missing. (I didn't do it with Ground2k though) Without knowing what textures you are using and in what folder you put them I would begin cheking the names for all season textures, WI, HW, SP, SU, FA and LM. It is important not to forget the night light texture (_LM.bmp) even if you don't want to use any lights on it. (Then make it just black 0, 0, 0)You might want to post the end of the source code, looks something like this where XXX is the texture name you used: VTPTextureName "XXX_wi.bmp;XXX_hw.bmp;XXX_sp.bmp;XXX_su.bmp;XXX_.bmp;XXX_lm.bmp" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 4Tatu

Tatu,I didn't have the night light texture! Otherwise, naming was correct, the textures were in the main FS2002Texture folder and in the "working" folder. I had the SU as well, but is it truly necessary? Usually, the summer texture is the one without the sufix. I think. :)Anyway, here's the end part of the source code; no _LM...:VTPTextureName "zapl_hw.bmp;zapl_wi.bmp;zapl_sp.bmp;zapl_su.bmp;zapl_fa.bmp" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 4Thank you!Regards,JureBush Flying Unlimited]"At home in the wild"[/i

>I didn't have the night light texture!Hi!OK, so that was the problem. You have to define a texture for all seasons and night to get those VTP polygons to work and to avoid very strange layer problems. It doesn't matter how you name the textures, I just wrote those suffixes to make it easier to understand what I mean. When you define the textures you can also use the same texture for all seasons if you want to. The order is and has to be WI, HW, SP, SU, FA and LM so in your example you might want to swap the wi and hw:You wrote:zapl_hw.bmp;zapl_wi.bmp;zapl_sp.bmp;zapl_su.bmp;zapl_fa.bmpShould be:zapl_wi.bmp;zapl_hw.bmp;zapl_sp.bmp;zapl_su.bmp;zapl_fa.bmp;missingzapl_lm.bmpAnd as I say the names do not matter, the order in the source code matters.Tatu

Guest gorchi

Hi Jure,according to MS Terrain SDK for FS2002 textures must be in this order: winter, hard winter, spring, summer, fall, and night. And yes, I have found it also that all seasons must be included although I keep some season textures same in my VTP roads for Slovenia. How they are named is Your concern, for railroads I have this line:texturemark_5 label word VTPTextureName "zelezsu.bmp;zelezsu.bmp;zelezsu.bmp;zelezsu.bmp;zelezlm.bmp" The most important thing is to have correct order.Have fun and best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net