Sign in to follow this  

Aircraft Sinks Into The Taxiway???

I recently installed a new airport scenery file created by a well respected and experienced scenery designer (who for the moment shall remain anonymous since I am not sure this is his fault) and ever since, I have experienced the situation where at that particular airport, my aircraft, which loads and displays just fine, sinks into the ground as soon as I turn off the runway onto a taxiway - and hops up into the air and crashes going the other way. Obviously, there is an invisible altitude difference between the two but I haven't a clue about how to resolve it. I contacted the author directly, and he told me no one else had reported the same problem - which is why I am assuming it is limited to something I have done. I have superficially tried to inactivate neighboring scenery files but nothing I tried has identified the culprit. I have a number of mesh files and Landclass files installed including FSGENESIS's beta US which doesn't show up in the Scenery File Library list - so I do not know how to inactivate it. I also tried re-installing the new airport file and surprisingly, this did seem to help but only for the first test. The very next time I fired up the simulator, the problem was back. Does anybody have any suggestions about a possible cause and a systematic methodology I could use to track this problem down short of a complete reinstall of all of my scenery files. I have just too many files to do that. Does my presumption of innocence on the part of the new airport file seem logical?Stan V.

Does the scenery has a flatten switch (in the scenery.cfg) or as a separate file? Users of our scenery have reported similar problems when they had forgotten to add that switch.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Arno,There is no mention of a flatten (or an exclude) switch in the scenery documentation and consequently, I added no switches to the scenery.cfg file. I am familiar in general terms with these switches, however, but have never designed one myself. Is there a simple way to determine what the parameters should be? I do have a flatten file for this airport that was specified by another author for an early version of his scenery for the airport and consequently I know the geographical boundaries in question but I wouldn't know any of the other parameters. Thanks for your response,Stan V.

If the author doesn't tell you to add one, it is probably not needed (the flatten info can already be in one of the BGL files for example). Then it is strange that you have these problems...I wouldn't expect that a mesh scenery has such an influence, as in general each airport has his own altitude information (flatten) and therefore should not depend on the mesh installed.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Well, the author may not think one is needed but I can tell you that adding one solved my problem. I cobbled together a flatten statement based on the geography of a previous author and an altitude I guessed at based on how far the aircraft sank when I used that previous flatten file and it all worked. Now, on to more productive things - like flying the sim! Thanks, Arno - your remarks gave me the confidence I needed.Stan V.