Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Re Mesh near new coast

I have managed to create a new coastline using G2K. I have attached 2 pics to show the default and the new g2k created coast.My question is about re mesh. How can I get g2k to recognize the coastline as zero altitude so the ocean itself is not remeshed near the shore.Any help appreciatedRay

Guest bones

I've had this problem too and my suspicion is that the mesh is still conforming to the default FS coastline.If I disable the appropriate HYP BGL files for the area the mesh then runs up to the new coastline. Obviously this is not an ideal solution - the HYP files also block offshore land cells as well as define the Fs coastline - but I haven't discovered an alternative..boneshttp://fsaviation.net

Hi all.First, the re-mesh problems you may have are not the fault of Ground2K... it is a problem with FS2002. The Terrain "engine" left us with no way to 'undo' the effects of LWM flattens ( usually in the HYP files ), and return the elevations to the original mesh.What re-meshing does is to try to force LWM elevations over the old LWM elevations. And, as you have found out, it is not a straight-forward process. It almost seems like you have to encourage the elevations up! And underneath them, there is a mix of mesh and old LWM polys and the FS2002.CFG settings.Your FS2002.CFG file has a setting:TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19it could be changed to:TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20 ( for allowing LOD12 terrain )or:TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21 ( for allowing LOD13 terrain )This doesn't have much effect on the default mesh, which is LOD5 or 6 in most cases. But addon mesh, with high LODs, may look oversampled and frame-rates may bog down.This alone won't solve the problem, but it will help. Another thing to try is to keep the re-mesh points or polys at water level near the beaches, and some ways inland.Another possibility is SCASM coded Area16n elevations ( elevation, flatten and E65 are all the same thing ). Here's an older post where Steve Greenwood, of www.fs-traveler.com, adds some helpful research on those flattens. He shows they are almost identical to the LWM invisible elevations.http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchSteve's site is a great resource to check out:http://www.fs-traveler.com/fs-traveler.htmlHopefully, FS2004 will have the ability to return "flattened" elevations to the underlying mesh, but even then, we'd have to wait for an SDK to explain how to do it. :(The only other possibility is to find the original HYP BGL, decompile it, then correct the LWM waterpoly, and recompile it. That is a method of last resort, as it's always a suspicious idea to alter the default BGLs... should some use your scenery, then decide to delete it, your changes to the default BGLs would remain. Not a good thing.Dick

Hi Dick,Attached are 2 images to demonstrate my problem and my question.The first image is of the Ground 2k screen. I have added 3 re mesh points (shown as 1,2, and 3) at 150 elevation.The area circled in yellow is a new piece of land and coast also made with G2K.The second image is a FS2K2 screenshot after compiling. The numbers and the yellow outline on this screenshot show the same areas.I have tried changing the TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19 line in the FS2002.cfg to both 20 and 21 with no change.My problem is .. why doesn't the new mesh point show up in the new coast area? and how can I make it do so?Any help appreciated.Ray

Hi Ray.Your BGLs are named like:myproject_2.bglmyproject_3.bglmyProject_9.bgl... and so on. I believe the re-mesh is in 'myproject_2.bgl', and the LWM polys in 'myproject_3.bgl'. If your new land was created at an elevation in myproject_3, that LWM poly is destroying the remesh created in myproject_2. Here's why:LWM and VTP BGLs exist in a datastream as described in the Terrain SDK. Within the same BGL, the poly execution is handled by it's location in the BGL ( last poly drawn covers all other polys 'under' it ).Within the same folder, the drawing order is alphanumerically by filename. The last file accessed alphanumerically, 'covers' the other files. ( This is why I name my exclusion BGLs as aaEX_myproject.bgl... so it gets executed first, before my other BGLS are accessed. Otherwise I'll exclude my own VTPs! )Rename 'myproject_2.bgl' to 'zzmyproject_2.bgl', and the problem will disappear, if the drawing order in the datastream is the reason. If this proves to be true, you may want to e-mail Christian Fumey about this naming of the remesh, as he may actually see the benefit of reordering the filenames, so the remesh is later in the datastream than the LWM polys ( "*_3.bgl" ).Dick