Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard Hill

Terrascene for MSFS 2K2

Has anyone used Terrascene to create scenery for FS2K2? I read somewhere that it is possible. I very much like how easy Terrascene is to create scenery for Fly!, and would love to be able to create scenery that easy and that detailed for FS2K2. If anyone has used it, is it easy to do? Or is there a similar program that uses USGS data that is easy to use for FS2K2?Thanks for any responses....Glenn

Hi Glenn.One of the outputs of Terrascene is a georeferenced, equiangular 24-bit targa image. This image must be converted to 24-bit Windows bitmap. From there, you could use Misho Katulic's TerraBuilder program to create a "photoreal" scenery... or learn the technique of making CUSTOM scenery "by hand" ( same result ). The scenery can be quite shocking in it's VFR accuracy!You might want to try the Terrabuilder Forum:http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=125Richard Hill has made some wonderful Terrascene-based scenery for his home area... so you might want to search some of his posts, and perhaps contact him. The AVSIM Library has some great examples from Jim Kanold, and the Team Flight Ontario:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&Go=Change+ViewOne of the problems with Terrascene-based scenery is, even with a good set of reference textures for Terrascene, we are usually forced to a single season representation, by the huge scenery size caused by the number of scenery textures. Flight Ontario's Thunder Bay is over 100Mb in size... and it is just one of 5 possible seasons.I had re-discovered some info from Christian Stock concerning making a local seasons.bgl, that can force the sim to a specific set of seasons for our CUSTOM scenery ( When the scenery is deativated in the Scenery Library, the normal seasonal representation returns ). This could reduce the number of seasonal texture sets needed in a scenery:http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=1565&page=I hope you have some fun with it! :)Dick

Guest Richard Hill

Glenn;I have made somw 4.5 GB of TerraScene Scenery using TerraScene Texture, and I am rather pleased with the results, except for the fact one has no REGEN texture. I have been praying someone would develope a program simular to TerraScene "USER FRIENDLY", but so far no news. One can only hope we will see one in the near future.Richard L Hill