Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hugo

Landclass production?

Hi! I would like to produce landclass scenery for south-eastern Canada, Great Lakes to Atlantic provinces.1- Is a database now available for this area?2- If yes, what software is needed?3- Could someone indicates the required steps from datas to bgl production.I have a certain knowledge of Landclass Assistant and a little less of EZ Landclass.Thanks for your help,Hugo

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Most likely, Burkhart's FSLandclass is what you'll need for this area. I believe he has pretty much covered the world. I also believe you can purchase the landclass and install it, without having to purchase FSLandclass itself. Any modifications to it can be applied using my program, Landclass Assistant, or EZ Landclass, although it will build a separate bgl. FSLandclass allows you to modify the source directly.Regards,John

Hi Hugo.If you're willing to study this a little, try this thread from NetWings:http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID4/5060.htmlAlthough the discussion is about using landclass with CFS2, the info applies equaly to FS2002.The Olson Global Ecosystem is exactly what is used in FS2000, CFS2, and FS2002 ( even the descriptive names of the legend are the same ).These sets of the Olson classification are in "Geospatial" format... this is Geographic projection ( lat-long )... perfect for making landclass. There are sets for the major continents and for the whole world. They will need some value replacement, and areas not needed can be "masked off" with a value of #254 ( transparent ). It works.The data from the world file could be sliced into LOD5 ( or multiples of LOD5 ) segments. These could then be manipulated with a paint program. A GIS program could likely slice the data better. I don't know if MicroDem would do it, but it seems to me it should.I've used the dataset to produce a new worldlc.bgl ( just to see if it works... it does ). I also produced a specific landclass of SE-Asia to solve a problem in CFS2.Here's the main link for the data:http://geodata.grid.unep.ch/then search for:land cover olson=====================All that being said, if you just want to alter the default slightly, adding new towns or changing a few values, then using LandClass Assistant is a very good way to go. Just use value #254 for everything in the LOD5 Area ( transparently the default ), and add just the changes you want. Ground2K also does this well, and can do so using a map as a background image... but might not be as useful for a huge area. I have had success using GIS data saved as georeferenced bitmaps for Ground2K. As long as the projection is geographic ( lat-long ) it works perfectly as a background image. A background map could be constructed of the Olson land cover data, with city and town GIS data overlayed.:)Dick

John, Dick, I realy appreciate your replies. I've already used Landclass Assistant to add towns and villages in an area of about 60 miles on the side south of Quebec city. An area I flew over quite a bit, 3 1/2 decades ago. For their placements, I just used a simple roadmap and the memory I had of the approximate shape of these places. Still I found it quite cool to be able to refer to these landmarks for VFR navigation. Even more when shooting some night VFR flights. To see those places progressively illuminate as you move along your flight path over an otherwise dark contryland is quite interresting and found it to be close to what I experienced few times, years ago.This is a very limited area though. I would like to have an area that covers from the Great Lakes to Atlantic provinces as mentionned above. To try to place any single places one by one over such an area is beyond my patience!! Beside, as I don't have the knowledge of the terrain repartition, farmland, forest etc so I'd be still limited to cities and villages settlings. Thus the search of an existing database.I had ordered Raimondo Taburet's Canada Landclass. Unfortunately it only covers north of of 50.4N! The area I'm interrested in is below about 48 deg latitude. FSGenesis does have one for US that covers part of southern Ontario but it stops almost at Quebec's border and messes a lot Montreal island :-( , although, in my opinion, it does quite a good job for US area landscape. As John mentionned, it's possible to make local area corrections with LC Assist. and both can coexist peacefully :-)As for FSLandclass, I have had a try with the Quebec-NY LC but found it to be unrealistic over an area I know well.So Dick, I shure will be giving a very close look to the links you supplied. I don't know the kind of datas I will find there but it would be nice if, one way or another, they could be convert into a raw type file that could be redimensioned and sliced in a way to fill the 256 x 256 grids used by Landclass Assistant (the easy way out!!). Although I'm shure Dick, that's not exactly what you had in mind when you suggested me "to study this a little" above ;-)In any case, a thousand thanks guys for your help and for all the excellent work and support both of you have brought to the FS community.Hugo