Sign in to follow this  
Guest John Massey

Updating an FS2000 scenery...

Evening folks,I have absolutely no knowledge what so ever of scenery design but I was just wondering if any of you out there in the know were interested in helping me out.There is a really nice scenery I like for FS2000 that doesn't quite function correctly in FS2002, mostly bleedthrough problems, bumpy taxiways, missing textures, taxiway lines are white etc.Now, here's where I need help, I didn't create the scenery myself obviously so I'd need to be able to do it with the BGL files in the ZIP. All I want to do is fix the above problems, for my personal use only because I can't get in contact with the designer.Any help is greatly appreciated!!!John/AFG

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi John,It's the Dublin scenery again, right? :DIf you want to fix all those problems you will need to dig through the SCASM source a lot. Let me list some ideas here.Of course the first step is to decompile the BGL into a SCASM source. You can do this with BGLAnalyzer. As long as you use it for personal use only it should not be a real problem.Bleedthrough:This probably means that their are ground polygons placed with a PerspectiveCall instead of a LayerCall. Replacing the PerspectiveCall by a LayerCall should fix it. Of course you first problem would be to find the right SCASM code. Maybe this tutorial can help you out a bit:http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/down...groundbleed.pdfBumpy taxiways:You can fix this by adding a SurfaceType command. In the SCASM tips section of my website you will find a simple example of the code you can use. The simplest way is to add a rectangle around your airport that makes the entire area smooth.Missing textures:This can be more tricky. If the texture is missing you can only fix it by adding the texture :). But you can use the SCASM source to find out the names of the missing textures and maybe you can find them somewhere then.White taxilines:This probably indicates that these lines where drawn with a color in Fs2000. In Fs2002 this does not seem to work anymore and then they show white. The best fix for this is to make a simple texture with the color and then use that on the taxilines.Hope this helps a bit,

Ah Arno! :-) I didn't know you frequented this forum. :7 Anyway, I knew I had asked you about this before but I didn't want to pester you about it. ;-)I will try your suggestions anyway, however... I have never understood those programs but I'll try me best! :-DThanks!John/AFG