Sign in to follow this  
Guest gorchi

FS2004 - New Autogen

As pointed out by Gerrish there are some interesting items toward the end of the TERRAIN.CFG file. I don't fully understand them but I would guess that the current Autogen Tool may not work well, if at all. However, reading the info there seem to be new possibilities for "decorating" sceneries with Autogen that offer more control and more objects.As with many functions of any new release (especially Microsoft) there are changed or hidden functions that we know nothing about. Some "new functions" even anger us. Others remain hidden until a talented third party or MS reveals them. In the end, about a year from now, the secrets have all been revealed and we begin to see posts asking What Do You Want In FS2006.Once again a more timely release of "SDKs" would be in order. Microsoft spends considerable money building in new features and functions that are not always evident, or are not fully "turned on" due to production schedules. This investment is partially wasted by management failing to provide information to exploit the new features and functions within a reasonable time frame. Dick KLBE

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Dick!I have been comparring Terraintextures.cfg from FS2002 and Terrain.cfg from FS2004 and I see that the latter is quite an upgrade from the first. Textures ended with number 1209 in FS2002, while with FS2004 1210 is for railroads (and that awful texture).At the end of terrain.cfg You can see autogen objects, that will be used if some line is drawn. If let's say You use for 4 lane highway texture number 1143, You'll notice a line VectorAutogen=6:[Texture.1143] // asphalt / 4 lanes / divided medianType=2Size=4ExcludeAutogen=1MaskClassMap=1Textures=hiwaysu.bmp,hiwayhw.bmp,hiwayAsu.bmp,hiwayAsu.bmp,hiwayAsu.bmp,hiwaylm.bmpoffset=flatVectorAutogen=6As You can see, this type of highway will make some flatten underneath the road (although on my highways with width of 50 do not show ay flatten), exclude all autogen on it but it will use some random autogen starting with ID 6. These are signs, road markings etc and in terrain.cfg they are:Autogen.6.0.0Autogen.6.1.0Autogen.6.2.0Autogen.6.3.0These 4 types of autogen objects are marked as VectorAutogen=6. Similar to this You can have telephone poles on the ordinary 2 lane road (texture id 1162, VectroAutogen=2).Note also on these autogen objects that they will show if autogen density is not completely off, at least at 20%. I haven't tested the roads with bridges but I suspect thay will be placed automatically if one uses proper road type, let's say 1222 which has VectorAutogen=8 or 3 different types of bridges.I hope this will help to everyone but please remeber, only textures up to 1209 are valid for FS2002, otherwise You should make another bgl made specially for FS2004 (I wish there was some IfFSVer=FS2002, then use texture... otherwise....).Best regards to all,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net