Sign in to follow this  
Guest CapnCol

Bad design or video card?

Guest CapnCol

Hope someone can give a steer on my problem. I have used Ground 2k to produce terrain where it was originally flat ground (on islands). When approaching (say 30miles plus distance) the surrounding water seems to be "pulled up" into the hills. As I get closer it all pops into place okay.I think it is my video card as I have flattened the sea around the island but any help would be appreciated.Thanks. Colin

Hi Colin:no, I don't think it's the video card, it's the way FS renders terrain. Basically, the graphics engine draws concentric rings of different mesh resolutions around your position - the farther away, the less detailed the mesh it uses. If you create a high-res mesh for an area where the next level of detail is the low res FS default mesh, the drop in detail is very pronounced and can lead to this water-up-the-cliffs effect. You should check on Steve Greenwood's website as it full of very well researched and written information (http://www.fs-traveler.com/overview.shtml) and, I believe, he has had good results with compiling an add-on mesh at different resolutions (LOD) to minimize this effect.Cheers, Holger

Guest CapnCol

Thanks HolgerWill give the article a read and see if I can lessen the effects of this problem.Colin