Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Completely OT -- need the PC gurus to come help!!

My apologies to the mods. I've exhausted the search engines and know of no other source of good PC advice...My problem: my wife's PC used to be Win95 and thus has a FAT16 4gig drive divided obviously into 2 1.99gig drives. She has not enough free space on any one particular drive for a sufficient swap file for what she uses (paint/printer type projects).SO, she know has Win98 and there's that converter to convert to FAT32, but I can only do this to the drives separately. What I really need is to convert the drive to FAT32 and take away that partition so that it's just one 4gig FAT32 drive.Can anyone tell me how to do this without reinstalling? If I convert both her "C" and "D" drives to FAT32, how then to I combine them / remove the partition?Please and thank you!!michael

Well, Partition Magic from http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic will do exactly what you need NON-DESTRUCTIVELY AND REMAP any software that was on your D drive to C drive properly. BUT, you need to make sure that your motherboard will support larger than a 2 gig drive. I have used this program many times and LOVE it!Carmine "The Big Ragu" :-cool

Thanks Big R, but how in ###'s name can I find out if the mobo supports it??Geez...shoulda saved that manual!(it's a k62-300 if that helps anyone)

No, not enough information to determine the capability of the MOBO. If the computer is a packaged unit, i.e., Dell, Compaq, etc. then what is the actual manufacturer and model number on the computer case. If you built the computer or installed the MOBO, open the computer and try and find the MOBO manufacturer's name and MOBO model number.If the computer cannot operate with drives bigger than 2GB there are several alternatives. One, update the BIOS and two, install an additional harddrive without BIOS update. The former may allow larger disk drives to be accommodated. The problem with the latter is that it is almost impossible to find small (4GB) harddrives anymore.You could also tie two computers together via LAN cards and share diskdrive space on the second computer.Lastly, it might be time for a good housecleaning of your wife's computer. If she has a Read/Write CD drive, she could store her important drawings to R/WCDs or just RCDs.BUY HER A NEW COMPUTER, YOU CHEAPSKATE!:-lol