Sign in to follow this  
Guest SteveJ

KHEF AFCAD Question

Guest SteveJ

Thought I would try posting here, since I've not had any luck getting a response on the main AVSIM or UT forums.....I would like to add traffic to my local airport, KHEF, Manassas Regional Davis.I just added an AF2_KHEF AFCAD by Sean Wolford which adds 200+ parking spots on the east and west sides of the airport. (I unzipped the file into a temporary folder and copied it to the addonscenery/scenery folder with my other Ultimate Traffic bgl files. When I go to KHEF in the select airport screen all of the added parking spots are now shown).My question is (since I am completely ignorant of how AFCADs and AI work together), what do I need to do to get fs9 to start populating KHEF and the additional parking spaces with light/medium AI aircraft? Currently when I open fs9 I see an occasional plane at KHEF -- I'm assuming this is the original fs9 KHEF traffic.....although it seems very sparse, even with AI traffic turned to 100%). So I take it that fs9 will not populate the newly added AFCAD file automatically with default traffic?Could someone please point me in the right direction to what I need to do next to get more realistic traffic at KHEF? Thanks in advance.Thanks, Steve Jones.

You would have to add extra flightplans as well then. You can use TTools for that. If there are now flights then you will see no planes :). I haven't tried the latest version of TTools myself, but the previous version had a good readme that explained how to add new flights.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest SteveJ

Thanks Arno for the reply. I guess I'll look into TTools. Too bad KHEF was not included in Ultimate Traffic, but even though it is a good-sized regional airport, I guess there are no regularly scheduled commercial airlines there. Thanks again. Steve J.

Guest RollerBall

Steve, it's amazingly quick and easy to get quite a lot of traffic into an airport. You can do it by creating a lot of repeat flightplans ie ones that go out and back to surrounding airfields every 2,4,8 hours depending on distance. Don't forget that a single plan repeating every 2 hours gives a dozen flights in a day! Don't need many of them to have the place buzzing. By the time you've added a few longer ones every 4/8 hours with bigger aircraft, pretty soon you'll be amazed at what you've done with relatively little effort.As you'll be working with Notepad or Wordpad, once you've got structures of plans sorted, you can copy and paste and just amend departure/destination ICAO codes. And don't forget to have incoming as well as outgoing traffic.Eventually you have to start deleting some of the smaller GA flightplans to make space for the larger commercial flights! We've all been there.Good luck and may AFCAD and TTools bring you as much pleasure as they have me and I know many others.Mr Swordy deserves the highest honour that flightsimming can bestow!

Guest SteveJ

RollerBall -Thanks for the response and general info to help me get started.Steve J.