Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaavoP

Default flatten in FS. Suggested solution.

Hi all,As I'm struggling with my island scenery I have come across the problem with default flatten in FS 2004. I have learned how to dissasamble, fix and assamble again. But the problem with this solution is when you want to release your scenery and the user get several "default" files that are not compatible with each other.When I went to bed last night my mind popped up with an idea.- We know how to dissasamble an default file. (Not yet for FS9)- We know excactly what filename of the default file we need to change.- We know excactly the flatten areas we need to remove from the default file.- We can assable the new file.Why can't sombody with knowlage of programming make us an Installation program that does all this locally on the users computer?The installation program can use an .ini file with all information about filename and faltten area that needs to be deleted. (This .ini file will be created by the scenery designer). The installation program then can delete the flatten ares that it finds in the default file.With this solution the scenery desigers have more freedom in releasing new scenery, and we don't have to worry about several designers working on the same LOD5 or LOD8 squares.As right now it's only possible to dissasamble FS2002 (BGLAnalyzer), but soon Jim Keir will have the FS9 BGL source ready in his LWMViewer program. Then all should be set for the installer to be made.Any comments?Regards,Finn-Aage

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In principle this should be possible indeed. But what about uninstalling the scenery, do you want to put back the origional flatten again then (or even what when you disable the scenery in the scenery library). With the normal way the BGL files work (and interact with each other) this gives no problems, but when you start modifying default files you can get into trouble here.

Yes, we need a nice program to modify flattens and other sim files (terrain.cfg for example). A good example of this kind of programs is AFInstaller.