Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnC

Transparent windows

Guest JohnC

I have an almost completed airport building that has large glass walls and other windows. When I alpha masked the windows and looked through the transparent walls in FS9 I realized that I was seeing the external walls of adjoining objects (that appear to be untextured)I assumed that MAKEMDL does not allow FS9 to waste clock cycles texturing completely enclosed surfaces. All well and good so far.I decided to make a clear mask and texture the hidden wallls so that I could see through them and could then decide what could be placed inside (perhaps like a large 2D textured polygon that would (with some parallax effects) look "real".I had only to texture about 20 surfaces and didn't consider that a big deal. I am using 888.8 textures.When I compiled it, and went to FS9, I noticed that the scenery loading slowed to a crawl, and upon taxiing past,it appears that I severely degraded the frame rates as well. I did completely succeed in removing the adjoining walls that looked so artificial, but I was surprised at the inability of FS9 to handle this. (I have a RADEON 9800, but only a 1.3GHZ Pentium with 512M PC800 RAM, so I am sometimes a little borderline with framerates)Has anyone had a similar experience, or just comments?

Hello John,MakeMDL does not impose a limit on our high-detail frame-destroying designs, although it does have a few quirks.Gerrish has pointed out that textures are the prime culprit. The size and quantity of textures are what cause low frame rates. So, you will get a big boost by reducing the dimensions of your textures and converting them to DXT1.Best regards.Luis

Guest JohnC

You are right on as usual...I had not compared filesizes carefully, and I am back in business.