Sign in to follow this  
Guest pecrowther

Transparent Textures

I have seen a lot of discussion about creating transparent textures, but I am not sure this is the same approach.In CellGrid2004a, the program creates a series of numbered grids over the terrain. The numbers are drawn using VTPDataArea, e.g.: VTPDataArea 1, 1, 0, 0 VTPLayer 12, 0 VTPNumTexturesInLayer 1, 0 VTPTextureId 0, 0 VTPPolyCount 1, 0 VTPPolyMethod2 4, 0, 0 VTPPointXY2 9015, 4623 VTPPointXY2 9030, 4623 VTPPointXY2 9030, 4643 VTPPointXY2 9015, 4643The texture files are a series of bmp files, designated 00_00.bmp though 99_99.bmp. According to DXTBmp, they are not dxt files, but are bmp files.The great thing about these files is that they allow the numbers to be displayed with a transparent background.Two questions:1. Can this approach be used to create, e.g., a runway environment with a transparent backgound?2. How do I create those bmps? I have an older version of Paint Shop Pro (v. 5) and when I load these bmps and resave them, they are smaller and do not display correctly- perhaps some kind of mask is being lost?Thanks, Phil

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, you could use the same approach. But remember that they always have a resolution of 4.8 meters/pixel when applied to the mesh like the example you mention. So I think that is never enough to make a nice runway.In theory you can make the bitmap with any paint program. After that you load it in ImageTool or DXTBMP to convert it into a FS format (DXT) with mipmaps. After that it should work fine.

Thanks Arno,I agree that it is not much of a runway from the ground, but should look okay from the air. I have tried using DXT textures, but the result is either a black background or the ocean.The interesting thing is that this cellgrid texture seems to work fine, and it is a BMP, not a DXT. (Although I cannot duplicate it using DXTBMP or PSP.)Phil