Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

East Coast Designs Now Hiring

Guest yuri14

Hi my name is Yuri Sheykman and me and my partner Chris Waldo have opened a new scenery design company called East Coast Designs. We have 2 jobs opened for 2 experianced designers. Our first project will be KSTL. We have alot of KSTL photo material and are ready to start work as soon as we getn enough people, If you are interested email me at yuri2589@hotmail.com or my partner Chris Waldo at waldo24chris@msn.com Yuri Sheykman

Guest yuri14

Oh yeah forgot to mention u get papyed to for more info email me. Yuri Sheykman

Since the thread in the other forum was deleted, I thought I'd echo my reply here in this one...A while back Yuri floated this same idea in the forums, with mention that he would "manage" the project while others labored on the scenery design piece. What I am saying just doesn't apply to Yuri--it applies to anyone who offers a role in a project...~Make sure you are compensated according to your contribution, and not according to "title". If someone throws a title of "Director", or "VP", or something of that nature but doesn't qualify their title with knowledge of the work their team members do, you can be certain they are in it to collect money from your work. Managing twenty team members is one thing, but a few (especially in the context of MSFS scenery design) is another. The majority of the work is found with those who design the scenery, not in those who come up with the concept and find a few source files... Any scenery designer can do the same.~Never give personal information if someone requests it unless you are certain that person is legit (for me that means a face to face meeting). A couple of years ago, I received an email supposedly from a sim magazine (it's still in print today, so I suspect the email was bogus), and "they" wanted to "compensate" me if I allowed them to include my scenery design tools on their CD compilation. All that I "needed" to give them was my SSN they said. I spotted that one a mile away--even if the outfit were legit, that's not how independent contractors get paid.~Get it in writing what your role is and what you are expected to do. Last thing you want is to have someone file suit against you claiming their project failed based on your failure to meet a deliverable. That's one reason why I've never participated in payware projects, since those who've approached me have never made it clear what backup plans they have in case I have to take an extended business trip, or have an ill family member, etc.... Remember if someone hires you as an "employee", most States have "Right to Work" laws that allow either you or your employer to terminate the relationship at any time, with or without notice or cause. Personally, I wouldn't go into a project like this as someone's employee, but instead as someone's partner.I hope Yuri has spent some time since his last post regarding this project to learn a bit of scenery design so he can be a mentor to the team he assembles vs. one just collecting a piece of the paycheck. There's always a need for quality payware...... But I do suggest that users do a search on Yuri's ID to get a bit of background regarding my concerns. Users (fairly) suggested we give Yuri a chance, but I also want to watch out for those in our community who I've worked with over the past couple of years. I know what sweat you pour into your projects given the great offerings we see. And I can't think of any payware scenery outfit that didn't start with it's owner showing his/her stuff in the freeware arena...-John

>tools on their CD compilation. All that I "needed" to give>them was my SSN they said. I spotted that one a mile>away--even if the outfit were legit, that's not how>independent contractors get paid.>HI John,While asking for an SSN could signal some sort of fraud, an SSN is needed for filing of Form 1099, which is how "non-employee compensation" is reported to our beloved IRS.Of course, one should nonetheless be very careful.Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.net

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

I agree about the 1099 in the scenario you describe, which is why I suggest anyone joining a project like this not join as an employee, but as a full fledged partner. In my case, the magazine asking for my SSN wanted to offer me "free" software in exchange for my allowing my software to appear on their CD.... I just didn't buy into that--I work out trade agreements with vendors all the time and I don't require nor have I found any law which requires my filing a 1099--that's why I suspect the email I received was a fraud.BTW, I'm pleased to see your response--I think you are the lead to follow when it comes to getting a great product to the community...Regards,John