Sign in to follow this  
Guest bnick

Nvidia and ATI, image differences...

Guest bnick

Greetings Everyone...A buddy of mine, who is an AirForce Lieutenant stationed down in Texas, and myself have been putting the finishing touches on our new Portland, Oregon, KPDX scenery, which we are hoping to release April 1st...We have put a terrific amount of hours over the last 5 months painstakingly Researching, Photographing, and learning our Airport, and we are very proud of what we are ready to release for both FS9 and FS2K folks...Having said this, something of importance has come to light within the last few days...Both of us have high-end workstations, with high-end Video Boards... He is using an upper-end, ATI Radeon, and I'm using a, Nvidia-GEForce-4, Ti4600, with 128mb ram...My 1st problem is this:I created some great Portland bridges in Ground2K4, and they look beautiful on his ATI Radeon, as well as on my Dell Laptop, with it's ATI Radeon, but I see "None" of my new bridges, both in FS9 and FS2K, with my Nvidia, except for Microsoft's default bridges which look fine... I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers, V56.64, as well as having tested with all the older drivers, and still none of my new Ground2K4 bridges are viewable...My 2nd Problem:I added, per recent Satellite Images, most of our Portland, East-side, streets and highways with Ground2K4's #1163 streets and highways... They looked really nice on my Nvidia driven Workstation, but when I sent the new bgl's to my buddy in Texas he viewed, hundreds of Telephone poles sticking up everywhere on our new Airport property, (see attached pics)... After a little research I found that Ground2K4's road #1163 has streetlights generating from it every 300' or so... On my Nvidia I see "NO" Telephone poles and on my buddies ATI Radeon, and my Laptop with it's Radeon, I too see the Telephone poles Autogening all over the Airport property as well as in the Runways...I've been dealing with Low-end to High-end Video boards in my Engineering work since 1986 and I've never seen two major Video board manufactures visually vary so much between their products...I'm hoping maybe a few of you may have some insight to offer us as to what is happening here... Is Ground2K4 the problem...?Thanks Everyone for making this the greatest Sim Forum...Bobhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/68851.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/68852.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/68853.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/68854.jpg

Hi Bob.Look for your FS9.cfg file... mine is located here:C:Documents and SettingsDick.LUDOWRApplication DataMicrosoftFS9Inside that file there is a line:TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS=1If yours says:TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS=0...then you have deactivated your VTP vector-placed objects ( tlephone poles, bridges, roadsigns ). Change it to 1 to reactivate them.It doesn't have anything to do with the different graphic cards.==========================You still have a problem. The roads are generating beserk telephone poles! The latest version of G2K4 sought to address that problem ( version 5.33 ), but there may still be problems.MS doesn't mix line types in it's BGLs. So you may need to clone your G2k4 project ( use "saveas" ), and then isolate line types as separate projects, with separate names for the various line types:RDMyProject.bglSTMyProject.bglHLMyProject.bglRRMyProject.bglEdgar Knobloch found that another cause may be simply too many roadlines in a single BGL. That would require you to clone the already cloned roads, and split them up.==========================================As a last resort, you can use named textures for the roads, instead of terrain.cfg numbers, and get rid of all the poles. That would require you to edit the ASM file:Look for "VTPTextureName" and change that line to something like this for roads: VTPTextureName "hiwaysu.bmp;hiwayhw.bmp;hiwaysu.bmp;hiwaysu.bmp;hiwaysu.bmp;hiwaylm.bmp" Looking at the terrain.cfg file will reveal which textures are used with with cfg numbers.OR...You can add to the G2K4 line texture list by adding to the "OwnLines4.txt", ( found in '...Ground2K4Resource' ). It does the same thing as editing the ASM files, and may be easier to deal with. Dick

Guest bnick

Dick - Thank you so much for the great advice. I changed that FS9.cfg string to a "1" and everything is mow coming up correct... Thank goodness... Soon as you brought up that config line I remembered changing it along time ago, when someone had recommended it for some reason, I can't even remember now...Thanks again...Bob