Sign in to follow this  
TheFiddler

mdl2bgl macro on BusyObjects trajectory: can it be done...

Hello All,NOTE: this is about FS2002...I am trying to put a plane macro generated with mdl2bgl on an animation path made with BusyObjects.So far, I have achieved the following:[/p][ul][li]made the plane macro with mdl2bgl and put it into an object library;[/li][li]can call it -- as a static object, no BO involved -- from there, so the macro and the library both work;[/li][li]made a BO trajectory with gmax, *.bod, and the boc compiler;[/li][li]this trajectory also works: I can put default FS objects (vehicles) on it, and they move around as they should (doing some unintended somersaulting, but that's details :-))[br /]Ditto for some simple objects I made myself with NOVA, they also move along the trajectory correctly.[/li][/ul][p class=dcmessage]But when I try to combine the mdl2bgl plane macro and the BO trajectory, nothing shows up at all (neither before triggering the animation, nor afterwards.). No crashes, no error messages, just nothing visible. The same happens when I use another plane macro (found on the net), but which is also made with mdl2bgl.In fact, I suspect that the animation runs just fine, and it's just the visibility -- could this be a scaling issue? I did have problems initially with creating the object library: apparently mdl2bgl has its own way of scaling (SetScaleX), but I could solve that after Arno pointed me in the right direction (thanks!): I have now succeeded to set the LibObj SCALE parameter to stand in for the SetScaleX originally generated by mdl2bgl; so I was assuming the scale should now also be OK for use with BO. (But there are some BO specific scale numbers in *.bod which I have not yet quite grasped).Hence my question: Has anyone ever succeeded at all to animate an mdl2bgl generated plane macro with BO?The BOC doc.s say that there can be problems with certain SCASM instructions. Is mdl2bgl generating some code which BOC can't well digest? I couldn't find any suspects in the SCASM code, but then I have only a limited understanding of the SCASM language.Or could it be a size issue? The mdl2bgl *.sca files are 2500 to 3500 lines long. As reported above, they compile to the object library BGL just fine, and can be used from there statically -- but perhaps it is still too much when called from BO?Thanks in advance for any hints or reports of success (or failures) with this!Cheers,Martin[/font]

It has been a long time since I fiddled with Busy Objects, but I seem to remember needing to use GMAX/FSRegen objects that were given GUIDs via FSRegen.Try following the tutorial to see if you can get an object to show before you try using your method.W. Sieffert

Thanks for the reply.>It has been a long time since I fiddled with Busy Objects,>but I seem to remember needing to use GMAX/FSRegen objects>that were given GUIDs via FSRegen.Well, as I said, I did have success using an object from the FS default library (the fire truck), and also with objects (a simple cube, and a pyramid) I made myself with NOVA, and then put into my own object library. So it seems the [em]object[/em] itself (as opposed to the animated BO trajectory) does not necessarily have to be made with GMAX.>Try following the tutorial to see if you can get an object to>show before you try using your method.Yes I can, see above. NOVA objects work, FS objects work, only mdl2bgl ones won't. Although the mdl2bgl planes I try to use [em]will[/em] show up when called as static objects in the usual manner. Just not when inserted into the trajectory API made by BOC.As a work-around, are there perhaps any plane API macros available somewhere which have [em]not[/em] been made with mdl2bgl? So far, all the plane macros I could find were done with mdl2bgl.Cheers,Martin

If you have FS2002 Pro, it had three aircraft *.gmax files that you could export as a scenery objects. You might also visit, http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ for *.gmax aircraft and do the same. Then use FSRegen to make the GUIDs and *.apis, as in the tutorial of BusyObjects.If you didn't have FS2002 Pro, then google search the world for FSModelExp.dle. If you don't have GMAX1.2 - www.discreet.com. You should download the latest MAKEMDL.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ , downloads, FS2002SDK.http://www.nhreas.com/fsregen.htmlThe FSModelExp.dle for FS2004 probably won't do for FS2002 objects but you could try it also.W. Sieffert

Ah yes, thanks a lot! I do have FS2002 Pro, but had totally forgotten about the tutorial planes. I'm using GMAX 1.2 already, and also have FSregen.The Freeflight link is new to me, just what I was looking for; special thanks for that!Cheers,Martin