Sign in to follow this  
Guest pakman

Hong Kong Water

Guest Endlessdeep

Hi Folks - it's my first time here and i hope someone can help me.I've recently installed the new FlightSoft Hong Kong scenery for FS200/FS2004 (i run FS200) and it looks quite good. However one major problem i've found is the water textures that have been included. They're bright blue and really ruin the rest of the scenery.Does anyone know how i may be able to amend the scenery/texture files to amend the water scenery back to it's default state?I've had a bit of experience in dealing with the scenery config files as i've downloaded & installed some scenery from this site.Any help would be appreciatedMany thanks

Guest pakman

I'm going to bump this as I would love to be able to do the same. I just got through writing some posts on this product and while I love the Kai Tak scenery and the checkerboard approach, the odd choice of water color/ texture and the crude terrain mesh are bit disappointing. So if there are any expert scenery modders out there, would love to hear whether we could edit the files to force this scenery to use the default or existing water textures.I wonder if the easiest solution is simply modifying the water bitmaps in the HK2004/texture directory (under the main scenery folder). Seems to be 3 sets of water bitmaps. "h2water1.bmp"...to 4; "h4bwatr1.jpg" tp 4 and "h4w2r1.bmp to h4w4r16.bmp". I might just edit these in photoshop and darken them slightly to get rid of that unrealistic baby blue color...Also, I find if I originate a flight from Hong Kong, this water texture seems to follow for quite a distance (think I got to Taiwan seeing the same texture!). It might have been just my imagination but I swear the water was that same disgusting light blue from HK 2004.

Howdy,The .bmp and .jpg textures can only apply to areas where the authors used textured polygons as water. If they did that the area wouldn't extend very far (have you tried renaming those files for a test?)More likely there's also a waterclass file included. Any small bgl files (1-5kb or so) that contain the letters "wc"?Last but not least: how about asking the original authors? Cheers, Holger

Guest pakman

Holger,It appears that they used textured poly's for the water. If I remove the water bmp's, the water in the scenery shows up as white. Looks like I can't really do much unless the files can be decompiled. But then that probably gets into copyright issues. Plus I'm still quite the noob in terms of scenery design... Anyways, just a shame as the water doesn't blend in well with the default FS9 texture. Not so much a issue if you're just flying around Hong Kong island. But if you're coming in from another region, the contrast on the water and some of the ground textures really stick out and make your feel like your in pre FS98...BTW, great job on your pacific northwest scenery files. Been having a blast flying around the Cascades with your scenery.