Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Tacoma Narrows - User error help...

Guest RSmith

Hi,Elementary question, likely. User error - probably.......Just installed Bob Bernstein's Tacoma Narrows scenery - both the original, and the 2003 update....... also installed the AFCAD file for the field.I have Gerrish's trees installed, and I'm using FSGenesis mesh for the area.I am getting these weird polygon - intersecting "panels" around the field - possibly buildings ?? I've checked and dbl. checked my install - used "Addon" and opened new texture & scenery folders underneath, as usual.Any advice - guidance ??Thanks,Ron KORLhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/79698.jpg

This happens because you have a non-dxt1 +alpha compressed textures still in your texture dir for those trees. The scenery design predated dxt.I did a texture upgrade to resolve this. It was posted some time ago. I'll check to make sure the trees were included in that when I get home.Bob

Richard, you mentioned you have a 2003 update...I trust you mean the file "tacoma_2003.zip", available here.If so, you have the correct textures...I can only imagine that you have installed my earlier textures in a general location so its overriding the new ones...or something. I tend to install everything completely away from my flightsim...(I don't use the "addon" dir), just to be sure this doesn't happen to me.As a simple test, search your harddrive for the files:bobtree.bmpbobtre2.bmpbobtre3.bmpFind out first if you have multiple copies showing up in more than one place.Finally, please let me know the filesize...that'll be the final tell tale evidence. The proper filesize should be 43kb.Hope you can find the cause...sorry it didn't look perfect right away.Bob Bernstein

Guest RSmith

Bob,Thank you very much for guidance....... everything would work perfectly - if there were not "users" - like me !! LOL....Well - it was a simple extract error - never had this happen before. When I extracted the new texture files to my Tacoma texture folder, only "some" of the files were installed. I went back and extracted your new texture files from Tacomoa_2003.zip - to a sub folder - and moved them in bulk (manually) over to the new texture folder - and it solved the problem.Not your issue - just another situation caused by using good mesh - see picture below - probably caused by the generic FS senery being different than my add-on (Genesis) "accurate" mesh. Trees appear properly - but they are in the river..... Doubt that is solvable..The airport senery is very good ! Nice work !!I fly into / out of Tacoma frequently. I enjoy that ILS approach with the "usual" real-weather - challenging approach, normal low ceilings !! I fly my BAe-146's, Lear, and KA350 from there over to Missoula, Montana or Glacier International....Thanks again.Ronhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/79782.jpg

Guest RSmith

Is there a method to easily remove a select grouping of trees from a scenery file ? Don't intend on "butchering" Bob's good scenery, but with my mesh - I'd rather just eliminate the trees that now appear out in the river - keeping the other new buildings and airfield adds as Bob has so well presented.Guess my question is - can I delete or remove certain files from a scenery add-on --- to eliminate the added trees ? Which files could I try to remove ??(Picture shows the scenery effects I want to correct - next post)Thanks....... again,RonKORL

Ron, I've changed my techniques so much from 2001 that I've cleaned my hard drive of the source applications I used back then. In addition, I've cleared off my original source macros.So, if you really wanted to alter Tacoma, the only thing you can do is alter the scasm directly. I'm happy to provide you this file. If the end result is closer to the real thing, feel free to offer it to others. I'd like a look at it prior to your release.Send me an email, and I'll provide the sca file.Bob Bernstein