Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

afcad question about navaids

Guest 46th_Terror

I wan't to add an ils to one of my runways. But it won't save. If I remember right afcad won't save navaids. Is there a workaround for this or am I stuck? Oh this is for FS9.

What do you mean it won't save? Are you using AFCAD221.ZIP? If after you insert the NAVAID, does it appear on the AFCAD working screen? If so, if you fly, can you tune the NAVAID.The only limitation for AFCAD221, is it will not provide the approaches for AI to use this ILS approach. Approaches have to be added manually.W. Sieffert

Guest 46th_Terror

An ILS is what I need to add. how would I add that manually?

The ILS is part of the runway element structure. You can't just add an ILS without define the runway. I recommend downloading the FS2004_BGLCOMP_SDK.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ . Read the documentation on the Airport element and subelements.The easiest way to add the ILS to your airport is with AFCAD221. It writes the same XML coding as doing it manually.If you meant I need the ILS "Approaches", then that is a different matter.W. Sieffert

Guest 46th_Terror

Time for a noob question then. To me an ILS and an ILS aproach are the same thing. Obvoiusly thay are not. What is the difference?

Example coding for a runway:Example coding for the ILS approach to this runway:The assigning of the NAVAID to the runway is accomplished in the runway coding. The flying of the approach is done in the approach instructions.It is basically the same in real life. The runway has the equipment to transmit the signals for the ILS. The aircraft's navigation equipment has the capability to receive the transmitted signals to effect the approach. The GPS has the above software coding in its database to provide a pictorial view of the approach. It may also control the aircraft through the autopilot to fly the approach. The flight simulator uses the approach to guide the AI aircraft to use the ILS approach.If you open the GPS at a large airport and press the PROC button, then ENT to select an approach, you will find many approaches listed for the airport. All these approaches are coded similiar to the above example. While the AI only use a limited number of the approaches, you (the user) can select any of the approaches to practice them.W. Sieffert