Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jan N

Slartibartfast is now available for download

Guest jimkeir

Hi.Cinepaint 1.7 is the one you need for Windows. It has quite a few bugs, but it's good enough. I recommended it simply because it handles 16-bit data, and it's free. If you have photoshop or something similar that will do just as well, if not better. However, Photoshop won't display the exact 16-bit value under the cursor so it's a little more awkward to use for certain jobs.I've not used PSP8 but if it can deal with 16-bit data, it will do nicely. It won't understand the .hgt extension, you will need to force it to load the data as RAW. Maybe you can do this inside PSP8; if not, try renaming the .hgt as .raw, they're exactly the same thing.When you're doing the walkthrough, I say 'now recompile' a lot; that means run Slarti *and* then run the batch file, like Holger says. Double-clicking will work, but if you want to see the output from the batch file you'll need to run it in a command window. Slarti's output is also saved into an html file in the same folder, so you can see if anything's going wrong there too.Cheers,Jim

Guest jimkeir

Hi all,I'll be posting an update, probably tomorrow, with some fixes and improvements.I'll be going on holiday from Thursday so if you have any questions, now's the time. I know some of the beta testers hang around here, so if something does come up while I'm away chances are you'll still get an answer.Cheers,Jim

Guest Jan N

Hi Jim,I've been reading the manual. The program looks great. Thanks a lot! :)What if we could load DEM data from compressed DEM BGL files? It sure would make it easier to make watermaps north of 60deg North where there are no SRTM's like in Scandinavia. We have some very good commercial mesh covering this area though.You do allow us to see the content of these data in the LWMViever so as long as we don't extract the DEM data from those files in other ways than providing the watermaps then it should not come in conflict with the interests of the commercial BGL providers.I don

Guest jimkeir

Hi.First, there's a new version available at the same address as before.- Better VTP shorelines- A couple of extra options for VTP details- Fixed a bug loading subsets of RAW UTM data> What if we could load DEM data from compressed DEM BGL files?What if, indeed! Sorry guys, I've promised not to do this.> It sure would make it easier to make watermaps north of 60degOnly if you want to use fixed-height lakes. You still have the option of doing fixed-height south of N60 and mesh-cling to the north of that. The only commercial mesh in that region is the Lago one as far as I know and there's a certain haze around exactly how they came by the raw data. I'd rather stay out of that one :)> Microsoft did once publish a SDK called BGLZIPI've seen it but never tried to use it. If it can decompress mesh data I'm sure plenty of people would have used it by now.> Did you look into the thing with the bglpatch program about it not> unpatching the VTP BGLs?Yes, a while ago. It worked OK for me. If it still won't work for you, let me know and if possible send a copy of the BGL you're patching from, too.I'll be away for a few weeks starting tomorrow so no more software tweaks for a while. I'm sure if you do have questions that one of the beta-testers (who, btw, include the omnipresent Holger Sandmann) will chip in.Cheers,Jim

Guest Jan N

Thanks a lot for the kind answers. Have a nice holiday! :)Friendly regards Jan