Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

Number of Scenery Folders

I have created an area of scenery that covers Montery Bay, California, about 700 square miles (35m NS 20miles EW). I made the scenery in sections, each section of coastline has some G2K4 files, some FSSC files (for the 3D objects and airfields) and in most cases some Landclass files. Every thing works fine but I have ended up with about 20 different folders each with a Scenery and a Texture folder and then some extra _LC folders in addition.The question is, now that I have everything looking good would I be better to create one folder called Monterey Bay with all the files in it? Is there any performance hit with multiple folders? Is there a limit to number od scenery folders that FS9 can use?The reason I ask is that I think that FS9 is taking longer to load now than it did before, but I have nor really noticed any big change in performance while flying... Thanks,Geoff

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Geoff,sounds like a neat project!I'd definitely pull all scenery files together into one scenery/texture folder, if at all possible, plus a separate one for landclass. I don't think there's much of a difference in performance but most users seem to be rather conservative as to the number of folders they want to install for any given scenery :-)The longer loading time is most likely a consequence of the detailed landclass file. The default version assigns the same LC to large areas whereas add-on landclass tends to be much more diverse. The more classes and diversity, the longer the initial load times AND reload times during flight. I find that keeping the overall number of classes below 12-15 in an area helps with loading/reloading.Also, for the G2K4 vectors I'd suggest to keep roads, streams, utility lines, etc. in separate bgl files, so that users of USARoads andor future similar projects can selectively disable them for compatibility.Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger,I was afraid that would be the answer!I'll take your advice though...Geoff