Sign in to follow this  
Guest pecrowther

FSDS2 and Textures

Greetings...I am taking my first steps into 3D object (scenery) design. As part of my project to detail an airport in New Hampshire, I am trying to add a few simple objects - houses, hangers, and other notable objects. I have taken to using FSDS2 due to its reasonable learning curve, but I am running into a slight hiccup.I have created a few test objects - a house and a sign. I used photographs I took on my last visit as textures (JPGs converted to 8-bit BMPs and imported in - no other DXT conversions done).When I view these objects in the simulator, it seems that I have to be right up on top of an object in order to get the proper texture to display. When I am at a distance, the texture looks like a fractal - swirly and completely messed up. As I get closer, this fractal pattern fades out and the real texture fades in. The distance required depends on the object size - I needed to be closer to my test sign than I did my test house. What must I do to get a crisp texture? I sense that it's mipmapping doing this to me, but I don't know...Advice? :)Thanks!-Greg

I have answered my own question - took some time on lunch to head home and play. (slow office day)MIPs! My BMP was mip-free - this apparently caused issues - I used IMAGETOOL to create MIPs for the file, and reloaded the sim. Voila! She worked cleanly. I'll also be using IMAGETOOL to get the textures compressed... no need for big size files! So for those of you with the same problem - be sure to add MIPs to your texture files. This will allow the sim to properly adjust it's size as you change distances. (But this is not a scientific definate - perhaps I was doing something else wrong which caused my problem in the first place)-Greg

Guest pecrowther

Greg,That's interesting. I created a model and ended up deleting the mips because they made the model fuzzy close up.Phil