Sign in to follow this  
Guest cwood

Failing on an ultra-simple FS2002 airport using AFW

Hi Folks,I'm missing something very basic on a very simple FS2002 airport design on a Pacific island using AFW.I need to create a very tiny island in the Pacific, and place a single coral runway on it.I drew a "blocky" island, and placed a coral runway on it. It compiled fine and when I look at it with the top-down view on FS2002, it still looks good. But I place the aircraft on the Rwy, look out the window, and the ocean seems to meet the edge of the Rwy. No land is visible. If I taxi sideways off the Rwy, I go into water, like the island isn't there.I have surrounded the island with a flatten polygon hoping that would harden the island, but no luck.What am I missing besides brains and intelligence? Is it an elevation problem? This is very frustrating. Someone who knows what they are doing would have this whole job finishd in 30 minutes, probably.Thanks for any help and suggestions.Charles Wood

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Open your AFW project, you need to harden the surface beneath each polygon. The runway is automatically hardened but not aprons, taxiways made with polygons, etc. Open each polygon area and select a surface type. If you are over the ocean, MSL is zero feet, you need to flatten your earth above the ocean and make sure you place your airport at that level under Sections, General. You airport should then be above sea level.W. Sieffert

To W. SeifertThank you for your dead-on help. It completely dug me out of my hole.Apparently I had failed to select the surfaces of my two polygons surrounding the runway.Sorry for the slow response. My involvement with the DC-3 World Rally distracted me more than I had anticipated.Charles Wood