Sign in to follow this  
Guest Toph

Flying Boats

Hi Gentlemen I am presently engaged in writing routes for the Empire Airmail Service of Imperial Airways. Usually the Short S23 only flew by day,and aircraft are able to alight on Lake ,Sea or River without any problem.However in order to present the actual routes as per timetable,some destinations would be reached at night and therein lies the problem,how does one alight at night? Is there any means of making a flarepath that could be positioned at appropriate destinations. As an old flying boat pilot,we used to have a line of small flare boats aligned with the wind direction.Could a means of placing a series of lights in the Sea etc,at sealevel be possible?I would appreciate your thoughts as to methods I might use to achieve this.Reguards Toph

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Toph,>As an>old flying boat pilot,we used to have a line of small flare>boats aligned with the wind direction.Could a means of placing>a series of lights in the Sea etc,at sealevel be possible?That should certainly be possible. What you probably want to do is to make a model of such a boat. The flare can then probably be attached to it as effect (or maybe as a simple light).The next step would then be to group a number of these boats into a line and tweak this line so that it always rotates with the wind. This then gives you a library object of a line of boats behaving as you want.The placement can then very easily be done by just putting the library object at the needed location.I don't know if you are familiar with scenery design already? Two steps are required as you can see. One is to design the actual object (which is probably the hardest part) and the other is to place them where you want.

Thankyou Arno for your reply,its encouraging to know that it is possible. I am a relative novice when it comes aircraft or scenery design,which is why I endevour to give a little back by writing articles and researching routes for others to fly.Your post allows me to inclued night stops in the route and hopefully I can find someone to complete the technical details. Thank you again Sir for taking the time to answer my request,Reguards Toph