Sign in to follow this  

Video Card

Guest simpilot

Max, Paul, Elrond and all you other hardware gurus out there.I almost pulled the trigger to buy a Gainward Geforce3 Ti200 last week but have held back waiting to see the price points for the new Nvidia Ti4200 which appears to be around $50 more than the the Gainward card. My question is this. If I purchase the Ti200 now, will it still be a good card for the next year or, do I spend the extra $50 which I really don't want to and get the Ti4200? I tried some things with my current system last night that really started to make me think. My system is a TB950 (non OC'ed), 512 PC133 and an Aopen Geforce2 MX video card. I downloaded Powerstrip and overclocked my video card to 200/195 and my frames jumped from 4-5 to 10+ sitting on the ground at Simflyers KLAX in the Dreamfleet 734. I was firstly thinking that I would need to build an entirely new system to run FS2K2 fluidly but if I don't have to and just purchase a new video card, then why do it.I know that all systems are unique and it appears that my system may be heavily dependent on the video card.At any rate, what card should I get?Cheers!Richard

Hi Richard,If you are looking at a video upgrade for a low outlay of cash, I would highly recommend you get a GF4 Ti4200 instead of a GF3 Ti200. At the small price difference between the two, you'd most assuredly be better off with the much, much hiher performing Ti4200 (not necessarily in FS unless at the highest of resolutions and AA settings however). If you play *any* games along side sims or enjoy the highest res or AA settings in sims alone (who doesn't?), the Ti4200 is the absolute clear choice. I'd recommend you look at the Gainward Ultra 650/XP Nvidia Ti4200 w/128MB.Best of luck,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Guest PaulL01

>Max, Paul, Elrond and all you other hardware gurus out >there. >I almost pulled the trigger to buy a Gainward Geforce3 Ti200 >last week but have held back waiting to see the price points >for the new Nvidia Ti4200 which appears to be around $50 >more than the the Gainward card. My question is this. If I >purchase the Ti200 now, will it still be a good card for the >next year or, do I spend the extra $50 which I really don't >want to and get the Ti4200? >I tried some things with my current system last night that >really started to make me think. My system is a TB950 (non >OC'ed), 512 PC133 and an Aopen Geforce2 MX video card. I >downloaded Powerstrip and overclocked my video card to >200/195 and my frames jumped from 4-5 to 10+ sitting on the >ground at Simflyers KLAX in the Dreamfleet 734. I was >firstly thinking that I would need to build an entirely new >system to run FS2K2 fluidly but if I don't have to and just >purchase a new video card, then why do it. >I know that all systems are unique and it appears that my >system may be heavily dependent on the video card. >At any rate, what card should I get? >>Cheers! >Richard That

Guest Max Cowgill

Richard, if you don't want to spend the extra $50 then don't :) As far as FS is concerned, the GF3 and the GF4 will perform very similarly, since anything beyond a GF2 is overkill in FS (until you get to high-fps/high level of detail situations). MSFS simply doesn't need the raw power of the latest video cards to churn out 30fps. You'd be better off getting a new cpu for $100 and sticking with your GF2 MX than if you upgrade your video card alone. However, if you absolutely must have a new video card to turn up the eye candy, at least wait until the GF4 Ti 4200 comes out and the prices on GF3 Ti's drop even further. If FS isn't your only concern and you want something with a little more longevity, go with the GF4 Ti 4200. If you want something that's going to get you through the next year or so, go with the GF3 Ti 200. BTW, as far as your above example goes, I think in that *specific* situation your system is limited by your video card, but in the vast majority of situations (i.e. cruising @ altitude where most flying is done anyway) FS is going to pump out as many fps as your CPU can handle, not the video card. This is, of course, taking for granted that your video card isn't the bottleneck in your system but rather your CPU and memory subystem are. Don't get me wrong here, the GF2 MX isn't the ideal card for any kind of gaming, but it's not as though it's slower than a TNT or some such. To sum it up: get a GF3 if you just want a short-term upgrade, GF4 if you play games other than FS and want something a bit more long-term, or just keep your GF2 MX and get a new t-bird (as that's where you'll see the biggest fps increase).Max Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

Well Richard,It appears as though you've gotten the opinions you wanted, now the question is: who do you trust the most? ;)Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

:( :( :( :-) :-) :-) :-newbie :-newbie :-scatter :-scatter (-: (-: B) B) B) :-lol :-lol :-lol :-spacecraft :-bluegrab :-spacecraft :-walksmile :-vuur :-xxrotflmao :7 :7 :-yellow1 :-yellow1 :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy :-wave

Guest Max Cowgill

cough :-spam1 cough ;) Wait... I post more than I have a right to so nevermind :-lolMax Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

Why do I feel like I'm being watched all of a sudden? Stop looking at me! Those eyes are like a dagger piercing the deepest, darkest depths of my soul! No mommy, make it stop! Make the bad men go away! :-zhelpMax Cowgill

Guest simpilot

Definately a meeting of the minds here!I certainly do appreciate the input from the 3 of you!Sometimes it is very difficult for me to get off the fence. I realize that at altitude (Flightsim is the only thing I play by the way) the FPS is really no big deal since I am getting 15 FPS (locked) with any of the add-ons I have. The problem for me is all the add-on sceneries that I have (Simflyers North America, Airport2000 v3, etc) that it makes it difficult on approach if I drop below 7 FPS. I am sitting with 4-5 FPS now with my add-ons and sceneries which translates to a slide show on final so my thinking was initially that I could get the extra 2 FPS from a video card upgrade versus processor, Mobo, memory and P/S upgrade and that this might last me for another 8 months when an entire system upgrade will more than likely be a requirement for FS2K4. With the Ti200 it will get the job done now I think but, will I want another video card in 8 months? This is my quandry.I will take all that is said under advisement. I just wish there was something to really push me off the fence either way because I am one of those guys who kicks himself in the arse when I purchase something then see it at a significant discount a month later.Here is to making a wise decision.Cheers!Richard

Guest simpilot

By the way Paul, I read that the Ti4200 scales pretty nicely with older systems. What has been your take?Cheers!Richard

Guest Max Cowgill

Richard, I recommended getting a new CPU because you mentioned that you had a 950MHz thunderbird, and I assumed your mobo would support up to a 1.4GHz tbird since that is the limit of most mobos that support the tbird. Of course, not all tbird-compatible mobos do support up to 1.4GHz... You may want to check with your manufacturer/system builder on that one. As for your question about the GF4 Ti 4200, in most cases I would recommend the GF4 over the GF3 (Ti 4200 vs. Ti 200/500) but since you mentioned the only gaming you do is MSFS, a GF4 will be overkill *for now*. I think you'd be better off getting a GF3 Ti 200 and overclocking it than you would be spending another $70 on a GF4 Ti 4200 for the same performance in FS2k2. By the time FS2k4 comes around video cards will be so much faster than the current crop it's not even funny... Then again, you could just save up your pennies for a couple months and get a Parhelia when it comes out ;) Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>By the way Paul, I read that the Ti4200 scales pretty nicely >with older systems. What has been your take? >>Cheers! >RichardPerformance of these cards doesn

Guest simpilot

Were you guys on the college debate team :-)!If I could get both of your blessings, that would be great :-)!Max, in terms of another CPU, my Mobo is an A7V and it would indeed support a 1.4 AMD however, I am still limited in terms of my FSB. For me to upgrade CPU I would take the road of a new Mobo, CPU, memory, etc.I think it is going to be the Ti4200 when the vendors get them in stock and then the bit-by-bit system upgrade.Thanks for all the advice you guys are great!Cheers!Richard

Hi again Richard,Don't listen to that ninnie Max... :-lolDon't even consider buying a Ti200 today. Its a waste of good money. If a video card is your choice of expenditures as you said and the range of the Ti200 is your budget, you'll be spending $100-$200 dollars. Theres absolutely no sense in giving $150 of your hard earned dollars away when $180 of your hard earned dollars buys you a product that is leaps and bounds better in speed, implimentation and improvements. Wheather FS on todays CPU's takes full advantage of the difference or not (which it does at the resolutions and aliasing level we all desire to run - even on your hardware) has nothing to bear on spending your money on the best hardware you can buy for the smallest amount of difference in cash. So there Max. :-) I'd highly hope you don't recommend inferior hardware to people when the price differences are so low and the quality difference is so high.Take care, http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif