Sign in to follow this  
arno

Mesh editing help...

Guest abent

How do I go from pic1 in real life to pic 2 in FS? I would like to make a small depression where the ground drops away. I've tried DefArea to make hills with little luck as you cannot make the hill small enough - it's usually so large in horizontal length that it covers up many of ther airport objects. I assume this is due to the mesh verticies being too far apart.Is there a utility or some way to alter the mesh to create small hills and depressions. This would add a lot to our airport sceneries.Thanks,Adamhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/100575.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/100576.jpg

Guest abent

Just woke up...sorry. :-roll That should read How do I get the terrain of pic 1 in fs?Adam

Making such detailed mesh is not easy in FS. It would require the use of a high LOD for the altitude data, but still then you can only get around a 20 meter resolution. So for really small hiles, dikes, etc that is not useful at all.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest abent

Thanks Arno. I was afraid that was going to be the response. My scenery partner suggested the possibility of maybe raising the entire airport a meter or 2 then creating the whole airport surface in gmax. I could then drop the little depressions in the gmax model. However, I'm still stuck with the seasonal texture problem - as u can tell, I didn't figure that one out either.Cheers,Adam

Humm, I asume you mean lowering the whole mesh a meter of 2 and then making the surface in GMax? That is indeed an option, but I don't know how many new problems you will encounter with this approach.About your seasonal problem, what was it again. Can't remember... :)

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest abent

Hey Arno,The seasonal texture problem was assigning seasonal textures (and having them display at the correct times) to a gmax object like a small hill for example.Thanks,Adam

And the tip from my website did not help you there? With those ASM tweaks you should be able to get seasonal changing textures. The only challenge is to find the correct days for the switching, so it matches the mesh scenery around you.

Arno