Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

Conflicts with Scenery Librarys

Guest JoeW

I just had a conflict Yesterday because one author recommended that his library be placed in the FS9scenerygenericscenery folder. I have Arnos trees library and 2 more in the FS9sceneryworldscenery folder and they work fine. I don't know what the other library was doing but I sure got a crash. I moved it from the FS9scenerygenericscenery folder to the FS9sceneryworldscenery folder and all was fine.I think we need to decide where these librarys need to go and place all of them there. It seems this is simular to the landclass problems last year.How about you Guru's decide where to put them and lets all recommend that place. The worldscenery folder seems to be fine.Joe W.

Guest rbrown3rd

>I just had a conflict Yesterday because one author>recommended that his library be placed in the>FS9scenerygenericscenery folder. I have Arnos trees library>and 2 more in the FS9sceneryworldscenery folder and they>work fine. I don't know what the other library was doing but I>sure got a crash. I moved it from the>FS9scenerygenericscenery folder to the>FS9sceneryworldscenery folder and all was fine.>I think we need to decide where these librarys need to go and>place all of them there. It seems this is simular to the>landclass problems last year.>How about you Guru's decide where to put them and lets all>recommend that place. The worldscenery folder seems to be>fine.>Joe W.I think a standardization of folders would be great. If the community could publish a standard guide for authors to go by it would be a valuable resource. I too have, on occasion, run into conflicts because of what Joe describes. I too hope that you gurus can come up with or point people to a guide for locating files. Thanks for the suggestion Joe.

Guest GCBarni

Why not follow what MS themselves do; that is, create a folder under the Main FS Scenery Folder with the add-on's name and Scenery and Texture sub-folders thereunder. This is what I advocate for my scenery posts.A separate Landclass with Scenery sub-folder is also what I suggest.

Hi Barney,But if a object library is used by a lot of addon sceneries it makes sense to install it in one central place, and not have one copy for each scenery that uses it (imagine how much work it would be to update the library in that case, and you can image the conflicts coming from two differrent versions).I find it strange that placing a library in the generic folder gives a crash. This is the place MS uses for their libraries. I have never seen FS crash due to the folder that the library is installed in. Maybe it would even be better if we made a new folder called Addon library or so and added that to the scenery library just before Addon scenery.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GCBarni

Good point on object libraries; however, I was merely responding to scenery add-ons in general and that is to follow MS's example. I believe more problems would be stopped in the first place if folks did this.You're quite correct about why this particular placement is failing; after all, whatever system the author advises _must_ work on _his_ PC or he wouldn't have released it with those instuctions in the first place!

Guest JoeW

I followed your recommendation to placethe Ag_Tree library in the Sceneryworldscenery folder. The other file was agn_xtrees_lib9.bgl, it's trees too. This is what caused the crash. I moved the agen file to the worldscenery folder and no crash.I don't know what the conflict was......i just know that when i put in with the others.... It works fine. no crash.... I'm not saying CTD.... This is a crash with the little window to send MS a note as to what happened.I will try moving all of them to the generic folder and see if it still crashes.Joe W.