Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimkeir

MDL Transforms

Guest jimkeir

Hi,Does anyone know in what order to apply the various transforms in a MDL file? There are various "BGL_SET_MATRIX_INDIRECT" commands which seem to refer to an ANIC section, which in turn refers to the TRAN section but when I apply the most recently selected matrix, the models aren't all the right way up.Thanks,Jim

Hi Jim,The BGL_SET_MATRIX_INDIRECT commands do refer to the entries of the SCEN section. This SCEN section does indeed refer to the ANIC section, which itself does refer to the different TRAN/ANIP section where the actual matrices are stored.From what I have seen the matrixes are not simply applied, but it is an additional matrix that is multiplied with the current state. So you add the new transformation to your current state.What are you trying to do with these transformations? GMax seems to be handling them correct. I have been "playing" with it quite a lot to get my CAT tool to use the correct animation.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest jimkeir

Hi.Thanks for the reply. I'd not paid much attention to the 'SCEN' section. I did experiment with multiplying the matrices together but it still wasn't right all the time, but I'd guessed that the SET_MATRIX_INDIRECT commands referred to the ANIC table, not the SCEN table.If you've any information on the SCEN entries it'd definitely come in handy, Arno.> What are you trying to do with these transformations?Erm... well... rather not say too much in public until I know if it's going to work or not :DThanks,Jim

Hi Jim,>Thanks for the reply. I'd not paid much attention to the>'SCEN' section. I did experiment with multiplying the matrices>together but it still wasn't right all the time, but I'd>guessed that the SET_MATRIX_INDIRECT commands referred to the>ANIC table, not the SCEN table.The numbering of the SCEN and ANIC sections is also the same in general. It took me quite some time to figure out how it works :).Now that I think about it a bit mroe, my previous reply is not really accurate. The SCEN section is a sort of tree. It defines the parent, peer and child relations between the different animations. So this defines how the different transformations are added together.I do have some notes on these sections laying at home, I can email them to you if you want. It's not really a full description of the RIFF format yet, but some notes on each of the sections involved.>Erm... well... rather not say too much in public until I know>if it's going to work or not :DNow you are making me curious ;). But I can understand that. If you are really stuck you can drop me an email if you want, I like challenges to explore tweaking source :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest jimkeir

Thanks again - email sent ;) If you've got any other notes on the matrix-related stuff I'm sure they'd come in handy. If I can work this out I can send you a preview copy of... oh, wait... }( JK