Sign in to follow this  

Concrete arch dams

Howdy Everyone,I'm perfectly happy modifying default scenery with Ground2K4 and am reluctant to try and learn a new program. However, a couple of areas, one of which I'm working on at present, have reservoirs created by concrete arch dams. It just doesn't look right without the dam.I'd be most appreciative of suggestions for the program(s) easiest to learn that would produce an acceptable concrete arch dam, powerhouse, etc.There are a lot of earthfill dams in Montana and Wyoming too. Might one program be useful for making both dam types?I'm 76 so be gentle!Wil Husted

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Gday Will.I take it that you want to construct your own object.I think what your best doing is to construct it in GMax.Gmax isnt hard to use, what its lacking are tutorials that assume you have never used a 3D modelling program at all.Ive just converted to Gmax from FSDS, i have no problem with FSDS altho it is payware as i think both are fine programs.Aside from the default tutorial that MS provided with the SDK that does tend to have a few gaps in the tutorial, by building some small , basic objects and learning to texture them, it isnt difficult at all.Gmax from Memory is on your FS9 #1 CD and once installed, its a free registration with Discreet.the SDK is available from MS for MakeMDL and some basic XML will get you up and running.After giving up Gmax 3 yrs ago in disgust, its now taken me two weeks to get to grips with the intermediate use of it so if i can learn it, anyone can !Caution tho, 3d modelling is adictive !Id be happy to coach you thru the basics if your intrested and there are many here that are far more advanced that will be glad to assist you.attached is a basic set of wooden steps that took me 30 mins to create.rgds Jeff

Hello Jeff,Thanks for the info and encouragement. I have your other message also. I guess I'll give it a try but may post the scenery modifications without the dam and follow-up with it in a later update. I've been messing with the scenery for months and want to get it on the streets and out of my hair.I'm a slow learner and it will probably take me forever to get a handle on Gmax. Those step ladders look very realistic. I think I'll start with a plain old corrugated paper box though.Thanks for the offer of assistance. You'll probably be hearing from me.Wil

Hello Arno,I've been reading that thread but find it a bit beyond me at the moment. I need to learn the terminology 'n stuff. My immediate concern is finding a program that isn't too awfully difficult to learn and just getting my feet wet with it. I think that I'll follow Jeff's recommendation and give Gmax a try.Thanks for the suggestion.Wil