Sign in to follow this  

Unseasonable snow

Hello Everyone,Suddenly I'm having problems with "islands" of snow being where they're not supposed to be in summer. I've been modifying the scenery in the Absaroka Range of northwest Wyoming using Ground2K4 and have made quite a few landclass changes to lower the tree limit to a realistic elevation and added snowbanks using the coral texture when they appear on the maps. For a while now when flying about the area to check on my scenery, patches or islands of snow have been showing up where there was none before. It's more of a dusting or moderate snowfall than the hard-edged snowbanks that I've drawn. I have the FS9 season set to Summer/August 15. There's a lot more of this snow appearing in the Beartooth Mountains just to the north and east. There appears to be some kind of mixup in the seasons in spots but I don't know what might be causing this phenomenon. I'm just guessing that it has something to do with my scenery manipulations. Has anyone else had this problem? Can someone tell me how to correct the situation? Thanks.Wil Husted

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,Open Seasons.bgl with TMFViewer. Set month = August. Then locate your place and look for the color. There are five colors for Summer, Winter, HardWinter, Fall and Spring. I do not remember the correspondence between colors and seasons but it is easy to discover.If that is OK, may be you placed an index referring to a land class that shows snow all year round. I think there is such a possibility (such an index).Regards, Luis

Hello Luis,TMFViewer does not show anything out of order. The entire region well beyond my working area is all one color, green for the summer months.I've used the same textures in changing the high country landclass, 009 upland tundra, 130 Y rock, and 132 coral for snowbanks. I'm not sure what you mean by "...placing an index referring to a landclass that shows snow all year round." In Ground2K4 I simply chose the texture I desired and applied it to the areas I wanted to change. Would you please explain this aspect a bit more?The project is nearing completion and now this situation pops up. Wouldn't you just know it! However, I've tried to accept them as learning experiences and appreciate your guidance and help very much.Wil

Hi Wil,just checking on this but your description of "dusty" snow makes me wonder: if you happen to have a weather situation that includes falling snow the landcover tiles will switch to winter, often in a patchy manner. And those changes seem to be persistent even if you change the weather again. You didn't by any chance save, and now re-use, a flight situation like that?Cheers, HolgerP.S. I think Luis was refering to those few classes - 142, 122, etc. - that have snow included even in their summer textures or use just one texture set all year round. The Terrain SDK documents include a table with all classes, showing the number and names of seasons used (many don't have separate textures for all five seasons).

Howdy Holger,Ah ha! This may be the culprit. I have some addon planes that come with different situations and I may have set one up/saved a weather situation but can't remember one way or the other. I'll have to do some checking.This wouldn't affect my scenery project would it? The cause would be only on my computer. Or, am I lost in the clouds again?Wil