Sign in to follow this  
Guest luissa

Objects showing through runway

I'm trying to make a bridge under a runway, and everything's going well except for the fact that the objects under the runway show through the runway texture. Is there any way I can stop this happening?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Did you create the runway with the XML code (or AFCAD2)? In that case there is not much you can do. 3D objects are always drawn after the ground scenery elements of the XML code (like runways, aprons, etc). This is because the runway is always supposed to be on the ground. So to get this working, I am afraid you would have to design a custom runway.

It was made with AFCAD 2. Is there any way of making the runway still 'there' (with all the lighting information, etc) but invisible? Then I could do it all with ground textures and 3D objects.

I think that runway is still created with the old pre-Fs2004 runway commands. These indeed behave different. But when you try to do the same with the new XML runway command you get the trouble you reported.

What kinds of things are these pre-FS2004 commands? Are there any links to where I can learn them?

Hi,FS draws objects in 2 phases. Firstly it draws 2D (ground polygons) objects. Then 3D objects. Because a runway is a 2D object it can not be drawn after the bridge. So it can not cover the bridge.The trick to get the runway to cover the bridge (or the pillars in the picture) is to force FS to treat the bridge as a 2D object. In non-XML coding you can do that by calling the object with a PerspectiveCall2() instead of the usual PerspectiveCall().The code to draw the pillars in the shown picture starts as follows: Area( 5 d 0 0 35 )PerspectiveCall2( :pcall )For more information see SCASM docs,Regards, Luis

Hi Luis,Do you think that will also work with the new XML format runway commands? I think any SCASM scenery (section 9) is always drawn after the XML scenery, so I am afraid this will not solve the problems when using the new format).So probably the Fs2002 Runway command should be used then.

Hi ArnoI do not know! In fact the runway in the shown picture is "FS2002 style". The platform is PerspectiveCall2() as I have referred to. I do not bet if it works with a "FS2004 style" runway!Luis