Sign in to follow this  
Guest The_Sarge

Low fps with gmax objects even if...

>One warning, API macros can not create scenery according to>the Fs2004 standards. So it is most likely an object format>that is "dying". If you have the choice, it is better to use>the Fs2004 techniques.That's a useful warning with FSX on the horizon. In the Compiling Scenery with BGLComp SDK Microsoft actual say:"Scenery should no longer be created with BGL opcodes or the BGLC compiler from previous versions of Flight Simulator. The older BGL opcodes are supported for backward compatibility, however, we cannot guarantee their support in future releases."You have been warned!

Guest vauchez_fs

Hello all,I have run extensive tests on this and the framerate problem with XML - fs2004 type guid objects has nothing to do with the geometry. This may seem to go against the generally accepted wisdom, but I was shocked with what I found.- You can try this at home -Create a one triangle guid object, remove shadow, treat vis distance to 500m, and place 50 of it in the sim (50 SceneryObject entries in an xml file). No effect on framerate.Now place 1000 of them. Check the framerate counter, it will drop significantly.Try with 10000. FS will crawl.A 1000 polygon gmax object has no effect on framerate whatsoever, but 1000 xml refpointed single triangle objects will. Even 10000 poly are handled easily if exported together, but not 10000 individual refpoints.So the problem isn't the geometry, it's how the system manages the xml placed objects. This problem is also obvious in areas that have a lot of guid objects in place, even from the default xml type autogen (telephone poles, etc.)In short, if you want too keep framerate to a decent level, limit the amount of SceneryObject entries in your projects (by grouping objects together in gmax for example).I really hope this flaw will be fixed for FSX, as right now it's almost impossible to use this guid xml placement system properly.Hope this helps,Vauchezwww.flightscenery.com

Guest Jeffrey_Staehli

Hi Vauchez!I have experienced the same phenomena...I've placed at about 1500 twy-centerline lights with individual entries and I noticed a framerate drop. Also when I'm on approach to the airport and the objects shouldn't be rendered at all, it's still the same.After having exported all of them into a single bgl directly from gmax, I have high framerate again in FS.Yeah, I also hope this will be fixed in the next version, because I think the xml-placement is a nice and easy way.-Jeff