Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildberry

Water Runways & Amphibian Planes

Guest wildberry

Hi everyone,I have written a few scenery files in FS9 that work well, but have come across a problem I am hoping someone will know how to correct! After completing the shore scenery & AFCAD files for a water runway on lake, I tested the scenery/AFCAD with some test flightplans. I notice that even though I have stipulated in AFCAD that the runway is water, any amphibian planes always have their gear down & don't float - but rather the wheels sit on the surface of the water.Does anyone know how to make things work so that amphibians land, taxi & takeoff IN the water with their gear up?ThanksPeter

Guest Tony_A

I've never actually tried this myself but remember reading a tutorial somewhere on water taxiways/runways. From what I remember, the 'trick' is to set the AFCAD runway/taxiway elevation at a few feet under the actual water surface elevation. You can get the actual FS water elevation by going into slew mode in the default cessna then position over the water, hit F1 to 'land' then read off the elevation and deduct 3 feet. Tony

Hi Peter,my ai_float.zip contains a few ready-made AI floatplanes and AFCAD files but also detailed documentation on how to modify AFCAD files and floatplanes for AI purposes. Unfortunately, the only way to have amphibian planes keep their gear up is to modify the model file itself (something that needs to be done by the original author). That's why I tend to prefer floatplanes over amphibians though my AI add-on package for the Columbia River Gorge - gorge_ai.zip - contains a modified amphibian HU16 Albatross.Cheers, Holger

Guest wildberry

Thankyou all for your replies!I will read the tutorial & give it a try.Thanks again.Peter