Sign in to follow this  
Guest bones

FS9 MakeMDL

Guest bones

Yep - I know I'm later than most in using the new version of MakeMDL but until now I have tried to keep my scenery compatible with FS2002. Now it is time to move on and I have the new FS2004 MakeMDL file installed.Exporting a couple of my old test objects has given some odd results. An apron light is now showing up in the scenery without the light and is lying flat on the ground :). A second test with a lighthouse has given an exploded object with some parts 20 ft or more above the base object.Can someone kindly point me to any reference source to show me what has changed with the new compiler to produce these oddities?boneshttp://fsaviation.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Firestriker

I am assuming you are using gMax v1.2 and the FSModelExp.dle from the FS9 gamepack as well as the FS9 makemdl.exeThe problem with your lights, I imagine, is that you are trying to use the BGL_LIGHT commands via light_ materials. This is no longer directly supported and MS expects you to use Effects via attach points. You can make the BGL_LIGHT commands work, but it requires editing of the *.asm files to eliminate the conditional checks for g_lightStates, an aircraft only condition.As far as your scattered parts go, you will probably have to reset the pivots. First, make sure none of your parts are in Groups or Linked to other parts. Select a part, then in the Command panel under the Hierarchy tab, click on the Affect Pivot Only button, then Center to Object and Align to World. If you want the pivot at the origin, use the Move Selected and Absolute Transform Mode button selected, simply type in 0,0,0 in the coordinate boxes toward the bottom of the screen. Then unclick Affect Pivot Only and click on the Scale and then Transform under Reset. Next under the Utilities tab, select Reset XForm and click on the Reset Selected button. Now go back to the Modify Tab and collapse the stack for that part.Also, there have been some problems with parts that have transparancy being transported/rotated to different locations even with the pivot point being properly set and no one has seemed to figure out why as of yet. So if it is only parts with transparancy being scattered, try making its material completely opaque and then check it in the sim.FS2002 was much more forgiving.Lou

>For the lighting I was using the material with the Light_Land>or Light_Nav tags. Is this no longer supported in FS2004?In theory it is still supported, but MakeMDL has a bug in the code which adds some commands that are only for aircraft design. After you remove these manual and recompile it should work fine.Have a look at this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=24559&page=2

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Yes, it's a pity. They solved quite some bugs and problems of the Fs2002 MakeMDL, but some other new bugs have also been introducted, causing functions that worked to no longer do so.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Using the tweaks as described in that other thread is the best way to make them work again.The only other alternative would be to use effects.

Arno