Sign in to follow this  
arno

Frustrated big time...

Ok, so..I am building an object with a buddy of mine...more so, he built it, I created textures. In anycase, he sent me the object file in .3ds format and I imported it into GMax. I then exported it with the MDL scenery format exporter, and firt got the error stating that my object was not in meters, but that the exporter would convert it. I then dragged the exported XML over BGLcomp, and looked at the object in sim...what I came up with was a MASSIVE object about 100x bigger than what is really supposed to be there. Any ideas?Problem #2:If I view the object in a program such a Deep Explorer (a program to view objects in), I can see the textures on the object. However, when imported and exported in Gmax, I cannot see any textures at all.Thanks for ANY help!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Cameron,>I am building an object with a buddy of mine...more so, he>built it, I created textures. In anycase, he sent me the>object file in .3ds format and I imported it into GMax. I then>exported it with the MDL scenery format exporter, and firt got>the error stating that my object was not in meters, but that>the exporter would convert it. I then dragged the exported XML>over BGLcomp, and looked at the object in sim...what I came up>with was a MASSIVE object about 100x bigger than what is>really supposed to be there. Any ideas?How are your units setup in GMax? For MakeMDL to work correct you need to set them to meters. If you don't have that you often get problems like this.>If I view the object in a program such a Deep Explorer (a>program to view objects in), I can see the textures on the>object. However, when imported and exported in Gmax, I cannot>see any textures at all.If you can't see them in FS, it could be that the textures are not in the correct folder or that they are not in the correct format (DXT1 with mipmaps works best in general).I have never imported a 3DS objects that has already textures, so I am not sure if GMax can even import that correct. Maybe you need to remap them in GMax. But I hope someone else who knows 3DS better can tell you that.