Sign in to follow this  

ExcBuilder Not Excluding - Any Suggestions?

Despite some known issues, I purchased the Ultimate Terrain for Canada & Alaska. I must say that I'm quite blown away so far.My problem:Due to the UT coastlines being much more precise than the FS9 scenery, some container ships and cranes are now high and dry (see pic). I used ExcBuilder to exclude all objects within a square around them and the bgl compiled fine. I have the bgl in the Add-on Scenery folder which seems to be at a higher priority than all the other Stevens - Anchorage Intl. Airport scenery (PANC), but as you can see, nothing was excluded.Here is the exclude code generated by ExcBuilder:<?xml version="1.0"?>This compiled into a small bgl. Here is a pic of the extremely low tide at Cook Inlet:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/111801.jpgAny suggestions on how to get rid of these objects?Thanks,Odaat

Hi Odaat,Are these objects from the default scenery or from an addon?If they are from an addon it could be that they have been created with pre-Fs2004 code and then an XML exclude will not be able to remove them. You might want to try a SCASM exclude in that case.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest apwright

ExcBuilder is working fine. It's excluded the 3rd ship in the distance, and you can see the swathe its cut through the trees.You have not taken the magnetic variation into account. Your plane was aligned with magnetic north instead of magnetic north minus magvar.Looking at the default scenery for the area, you intended to exclude this area (plane aligned with 000 magnetic):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/112077.jpgBut because of the hefty magvar (about 23 deg E) you actually excluded this area (aligned 360-23=337):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/112078.jpgOnly the bottom ship is within the rectangle!Hope this helps!Regards,Adrian

Hi AdrianThanks for your thoughtful response. Please forgive me if I am missing something simple here, but wouldn't Lat/Long be independent of heading - whether it be magnetic or true? It seems to me that I am simply using the heading to properly slew my plane to get lat/long coordinates from FS9.I have double checked the lat/long coords with a calulator and the coords that FS9 are displaying are the coords that are being recorded in the exclude xml file. So, what difference does it make whether my heading is true or magnetic when I'm dealing with lat/long?What am I missing?!Thanks :)

Guest apwright

Yes, lat and long are independent of heading (in my screenies the NW and SE corners are at identical coords in both!), but the shape of the box changes because the sides remain parallel with the vertical alignment of the screenshot (i.e. pointing TRUE N/S/E/W instead of MAGNETIC) and the corners of the box are always 90 deg.The NW and SE coords you specify are unchanged, but the coords of the other two corners NE and SW are different between the two pics.Does that make sense? It's a bit hard to explain!Regards,Adrian

Guest apwright

Arghhh Edit time expired!Perhaps this will help to explain it:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/112095.jpgHere the GRID is TRUE N/S/E/W (like on a map in an atlas), but the sides of the IMAGE are aligned with MAGNETIC north (magnetic heading 000 at your location). You placed your NW and SE points in this orientation and thought you were excluding the RED rectangle.But ExcBuilder "joins the dots" along the lines of longitude and latitude, so it drew a different rectangle (BLUE) with the same fixed NW and SE corners.I think...I'm getting confused now!I guess what I'm trying to say is: Align your view with the grid by setting your heading to true north (here 337ish) before capturing your NW and SE points.RegardsAdrian

Thanks Adrian - that did the trick! The high and dry boats are gone and I've placed some new ones (had to take the heading into account during the placement too).Thanks for the great graphic illustration.Odaat