Sign in to follow this  
Guest farmer

no textures

Guest farmer

I was reading the RWY12 forum and ran across a post about no textures showing. I recently had the same problem, and per the post on the RWY12 forum, added the textures to the main FS9 texture file and all is well. I tried all texture formats and different areas for placement. The bgls were placed both with GMAX and FSDS2.24 format. Neither worked. The same texture placed with the RWY12 program would show. I was using some sign textures from dawgs signs bmps from RWY12. Sure is a 'puzzlement'--my word.Any one have any ideas as to why or a fix?

Hi,In general the rule is that you should place your textures in the texture folder belonging to the scenery folder where you store your BGL files. This has never given my problems.It could be that your texture format is wrong, DXT with mipmaps works best.The problems with Rwy12 are because they use libraries I think. In that case the library object must be able to find the texture, but when you place from FSDS/GMax directly you should not have that problem.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest farmer

I'm with you on placing the textures in scenery texture folder. But these will not work. Neither will they work in the addon scenery/texture folder. They will only show when placed in the main FS9 texture folder.What tells FS where to look for the textures? I may have a setting wrong in FSDS or GMAX. In GMAX, i'm simply making a box to place to test texture with, but other objects made with GMAX work ok.Hate to publish this with these textures like this. I know I wouldn't want to place these or any in my main texture folder. Their should not be a need to do this.

Hi,In the MDL/BGL file the textures are only refered to by name, no folder information is stored. This is why FS first looks in the texture folder belonging to your scenery. If the texture is not found there, the main texture folder is searched as well. So I don't think it is a problem with a setting in GMax or FSDS.Are you using a library for your objects or are you placing them directly?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest farmer

I'm placing them directly. I'm learning GMAX slowly (old dog dosen't learn new tricks quickly), so am using FSDS2.24 mainly.I have tried using your converter, making a library and placing but no change.I placed a lot of objects from FSDS, and never had this problem. I'v even deleated any add on sceneries for the area, thinking this might have something to do with it. Even placed the FSDS bgl ia a different hemisphere to no avail.There is a FAQ on the ABacus help page about an out of date dill, but have replaced it. (mwgfx.dll)The textire format whrn choosing in FSDS is different than textures in scenery texture file, but have tried any combinations I can think of -Sure can't figure this one. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but can't see it.Thanks for any thought you might have.Mabey I can get out of the forest where I can see the trees.

Hi,This is very weird. What you are doing all sounds correct.Could you maybe attach a zip file with the BGL and textures on this forum? Then I could have a look at my PC (or you can mail them if you prefer).

Arno

Guest farmer

Well I found my problem, but I'm to embaressed to tell, but I'll give ya a hint.I need to use spell check on EVERYTHING.Thanks to all who answered.Larry