Sign in to follow this  
Guest bones

Latest version of Autogen Creation/Editing Program

I've uploaded a new version of my Autogen program (1.0.37) to the VFR Addons site. There's a few bug fixes in it in addition to two new very needed features. The latest executable file can be downloaded at http://www.vfraddons.co.uk/artseditor_view.php. Remember that a download of only the executable can only be expected to work if you've previously done a full install of an earlier version. That install package as well as the help files which are in need of updating are located at the VFR website as well. As many of you know, the program has tools that create multiple autogen houses with a minimum of mouse clicks. The user can create NS/EW aligned rows of houses within a user-defined rectangle, an angled row of houses with the fronts of the houses aligned to the area rectangle, or a string of houses aligned to a freeform line that the user draws on the photoreal image. Up until now houses created with the last method always aligned EW/NS. The newest upgrade now allows the user to designate that the houses align themselves with the slope of the freehand line. This mimics the real world much more.The next feature I added was a check box to indicate that multiple houses would not all be drawn at the same size and distance apart. A random amount is added to the width and depth of the house rectangle as well as to the space between the houses. Once again this adds more realism to the houses created in FS. It's funny how my drives around town now get me noticing things I never looked at before such as how houses are arranged and what yards look like in developments. One thing I noticed after a suggestion from a user is that almost all houses are surrounded by trees. It would be very simple for me to include a check box so that when multiple houses are drawn in, small vegetation areas are placed between them. Going to tackle that tonight. Now for some randomly placed nude sunbathing women in each backyard....Anyway, hope the program is getting used a lot especially on freeware scenery I hope to be flying around in the next few years.Art Martin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Simply marvelous, Art! I've been using the 1.0.35 version for a bit now, and it's helped tremendously with my autogen creation. Thanks for creating a much-needed scenery tool!

Glad it helps you. Boy, I have to finish this thing soon. Keep finding things for it to do. Tonight I added in a feature that if you define multiple houses that are squarely aligned EW/NS and flag a checkbox, vegetation rectangles get created between the houses and behind them. The effect in FS is really cool putting trees and bushes around the homes. I'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing with the angled multiple house tool and the freehand tool but unfortunately all vegetation areas are squarely aligned and the complexity of placing them goes up exponentially. I'll play with the new feature a few more days and then upload the update. I need to bring the help file up to date and create a brand new install package. There have been recent emails of people with install problems and my guess is that people are getting out of synch by me supplying the executable file only. Once the new install package is finished I have to simply call it done and put it out for distribution. That's a tough day for a developer. Kinda like sending your child off to college on their own. Art Martin

Dear Art Martin:This release fix the giant trees bug?ThanksCazador

Actually that was fixed a few versions back. In order to get rid of them after the fix is applied you have to reopen the tiles where the giant (and very fun) trees appear and resave them. I kinda miss them now.Boy, I'm up against a stumper for the latest addition I'm putting into the program. It was real simple when most of my multiple houses pointed NS/EW but now that I've allowed the program to have houses align themselves to an ever changing freehand line, the complexity to the latest step has gone up exponentially. This addition really adds tremendously to the realism. When you add in a line of multiple houses, it places vegetation areas between them and behind them. Now that's a simple task when the houses are all aligned NS/EW as that's the only kind of rectangle you can save for vegetation. However, when the house is angled, fitting squarely aligned vegetation boxes in between the houses is a bit more of a chore and often, to fill the area in well, you have to create a bunch of very small ones. Calculating the position of all those boxes so they don't overlap the houses you drew in is a royal pain. The other problem is that I tend now to fill a scenery square with small houses and often my house count can go up over 600 (FS only displays a portion of them but I'm expecting future versions to support more). With that many houses, if I put in lets say 5 small vegetation squares around each house, the numbers quickly add up into the thousands. FS simply won't handle that kind of complexity. So anyway, I'm rethinking how to do this and would welcome any recommendations. I guess I'm leaning towards some random thing where some houses get dense vegetation around them and others get a spotty square here and there placed somewhere around their lot. Maybe instead of putting in the vegetation as I draw each row, I allow the user to select an area of the screen and press a key. The program then searches for all houses and buildings within that area and randomly puts in some vegetation squares around them.Art

Any chance of putting the house vegetation on hold for a while and finishing off the nude sunbathing idea? :-xxrotflmao Seriously though it's a superb tool..bones