Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jos

Carrier BGL (help)

Guest ZyGoat

Hello all,I have started constructing an adventure and would like to place a CVN on the map. I am using Runway12 and looking at Richard Hogen's wonderful ARRCAB files - my problem is that I can't figure out which .bgl's I need to make a whole carrier.I have already had luck with "carrier anywhere," but I really want to place a large modern version. I am a long-time flyer but brand new at design, so any suggestions or links to tutorials would be much appreciated.Many thanks!

>Hello all,>>I have started constructing an adventure and would like to>place a CVN on the map. I am using Runway12 and looking at>Richard Hogen's wonderful ARRCAB files - my problem is that I>can't figure out which .bgl's I need to make a whole carrier.>>I have already had luck with "carrier anywhere," but I really>want to place a large modern version. I am a long-time flyer>but brand new at design, so any suggestions or links to>tutorials would be much appreciated.>>Many thanks! Many months back when I was populating my virtual world with Carriers and loading their flight decks with static aircraft I looked into doing what you are asking. Unfortunately the "modern" CVN's that are available have several BGL's that contain LAT/LON/HDG data that would have to be modified to "move" it to another location. I was using BGLAnalyze and NewBGLAnalyze to get the SCA listings of the various components and SCASM, BGLCOMP and a few other utilities to create the new BGL's. It was a tedious, time consuming procedure and the results were sporatic, as I recall. I believe I did get one or two CVN's in approximately the positions that I wanted them in but also had a number of failed attempts....missing structures, etc. Again, AIR, I had to search each disassembled listing for the LAT/LON/HDG statements and change them. I believe I the 'degrees' and 'minutes' portion of the entries to get the component to the approximate desired location. It's not a task for the faint or heart. I do know that there is at least one CVN package out there that is distributed with the FSDS source files so that if you have that program, which I don't, you can place them to your hearts content. What I have done with regards to the many "lone" CVN's such as the ARRCAB Carriers is to add additional ships to form a battle group... If you have a look here: http://fs-shipyards.com You will find alot of interesting naval goodies that you might like to add to your virtual world. I'm an old assembly language programmer so I enjoyed all the tedious "tweaking" that I've done, adding aircraft, ships, navaids, etc to my installations. I have an AI task force sailing into San Francisco Bay, a WWII task force sailing from Halifax and myriad other ships/fleets placed around San Diego, off Monterey, in the Med and a few other locations that I can't recall, so that whenevr I want to launch my favorite carrier A/C, an A-6E with my own custom panel, I don't have to look far to find a "floating" field to accomodate it :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest ZyGoat

Hi Paul,Thanks for your reply. I have spent the last few days with various BGL tools and reached the same conclusion you did. In fact, the results have been so dismal that I have changed my plans for the adventure extensivly.I suppose that what I should have asked for in the first place was if anybody knows where there is base code for an ARRCAB carrier...In any event, I do appreciate your help - it gave me some ideas to try.Regards,

Guest Jos

Hi,The named website had changed since I downloaded the sailable carrier Nimitz, especially the API so that I can place it all over the world. In one of these files is also a source file encluded for FSSC. If you are interested, I can e-mail it to you.Further: I don't use arrcab anymore, but the so called superspoiler program (less realistic but you can at least launch and land everywhere, even if there are no catapults or arrestor cables).Greetz. Jos

Guest Jos

Hi,Have trouble to send you the file.For what the use of an API concerns. An API contains all the objects data. With Airport for Windows 2.6 (it works also for FS9) you can place the object by filling in the coordinates and altitude. I use FSSC only for drawing taxilines.I think you can find the file with the API and the FSSC source file at the website of Shipyards.I will try sending you the file.Greetz. Jos