Sign in to follow this  
Guest Charlie Hall

Should I keep FSSC?

Guest Charlie Hall

I am wanting to make scenery only for FS2004. Having installed Airport For Windows 3.00 and started to get used to it, and more recently SGX which seems to work similarly to Airport 3.00, and also FSSC which I have not yet tried to use, is there any point in me keeping FSSC? I would only want to keep it if it could offer benefits for FS2004 sceneries that the others do not provide, but as I have not used it I do not know. Airport also allows for the import of sca files which FSSC does not, which is probably the main reason I got started with Airport 3.00 first.

Hi Charlie,Airport for Windows and FSSC are rather similar, only the interface is different. And it is a personal taste which interface you prefer. Both these tools have not been updated for Fs2004, so if you want to make real Fs2004 scenery they are not really useful.For real Fs2004 scenery you can use tools like SceneGenX, AFCAD2, Rwy12, ObPlacer XML, etc.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Charlie Hall

Hi Arno, Thank you for your answer. I think I will uninstall FSSC then if it offers no benefits over Airport 3.00 . From what you have confirmed for me I don't see any point now in having both. I have used AFCAD2 and RWY12 and had a quick look at SGX but have yet to look at ObPlacer XML to see what it can do.

Hi Charlie,> but have yet to look at ObPlacer XML to see what it can do.ObPlacer XML is similar to Rwy12. It will also allow you to place objects while slewing in FS. Compared to Rwy12 the major difference is that you can also place effects and at the moment I am adding a function to place generic buildings as well. So just like FSSC and AFW, there are two similar tools again and you should choice the one you prefer the interface, etc of.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Charlie Hall

Hi Arno,I got on very well with RWY12 but did feel that I was not seeing everything available in FS2004, like generic buildings as you have mentioned. Also I am not too keen to include objects in sceneries that are not readily available in all FS2004 installations, although for my own use it would be OK.I am very interested in your planned update for ObPlacer XML and will be looking forward to try it. I haven't tried the current version yet but will probably wait until the update is ready.Will it be announced here?I noticed only recently that some stock buildings and other objects actually fade in and out of view according to distance, an effect I really like. Do you know if this feature is confined to autogen objects in FS2004?