Sign in to follow this  
arno

Multiple ground plane levels

I have a senery in which I have 3 objects on the ground - the ground itself, some AFCAD taxiways and a 2D Gmax polygon with a taxiway texture on it. The problem is, I can't seem to get it so it looks right. The shadows can only be seen from a very high angle, or a very low angle, and if I go further than about a mile out, you can see the ground through the texture.I have the ground at 58.5161m, the AFCAD at 58.53659m (that's 192ft, according to FS Scenery Creator), and the textured poly at 58.54659m.What kinds of seperations should I be using? I've seen sceneries that use AFCAD data and textured polys with no shadow or show-through side effects at all.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is similar to the problem I'm having (see "Dumb GMax Question" in this forum).Try this... Be sure scenery casts shadows is checked (on). My very small hangers have the problem you can see through their roofs even with two layers of opaque surfaces. If I turn off scenery casts shadows, it is very easy to view through the hanger roofs but when I turn scenery casts shadows on, the problem is significantly reduced but not totally eliminated. Opaque should always be opaque but apparently this is not the case.Another thing is to try and elevate your 2D object about an inch above the taxiway instead of it being the exact same elevation. At least on my system, the rendering gets confused if two things are at the **exact** same elevation. Sometimes I'll see one object and other times I'll see another. By defining one to be higher also seems to reduce this effect. At high altitude and at some angles, this is still a problem.Like you, I'm still trying to find a solution that 100% effective but so far, it is still an annoyance.

Yeah, I have them about 5cm apart, and I'm still getting silly effects..

You indeed need to make sure that your ground is flattened properly first.After that it is good to know that GMax was never intended to make ground polygons, so there is no easy solution to solve your problems.I think the easiest way is still to use the old (Fs2002 gamepack) and then tweak the source code generated by GMax to add a ADDCAT command that can make your polygon behave like a real ground polygon.If you really want to use the new gamepack then it is slightly more complex. On the forum of my website (www.scenerydesign.org) there are a few threads that discuss ground polygons with GMax. Maybe you can do a quick search there?