Sign in to follow this  
arno

Converting GMAX Files to BGL Scenery Files

Guest PK88NW

I have made some gmax scenery but cant get them into BGL files. I have FS2004. Is there a utility that will help me? If so, what is the best and easiest to use? I am lost and I have some cool scenery I made.Thanks,Patrick

Guest Jos

Hi,I am running FS2002... but I had the same problem.So: get the latest BGLC (BGL Compiler) proper for FS2004.And just before exporting: set to "Keep files" in order to keep the source files .asm and _0.asm-files.Hope this helps. Jos

Sorry Jose, but that Fs2002-method is not really valid anymore for Fs2004. There is also no official BGLC compiler for Fs2004.This is the correct way to get your object from GMax into Fs2004.1. You need to download the Fs2004 GMax SDK if you have not already done so. This SDK contains the gamepack for GMax that allows you to export objects to FS. If you point the installer of the SDK to your GMax folder all files are put in the correct location, you just have to start GMax with the special Fs2004 shortcut from now on (this shortcut is also made by the SDK).2. Now in GMax you need to export your object as a "Scenery MDL object". This will create a MDL file that contains your object and a XML file that can be used for the placement of it.3. Open that XML file and enter the coordinates where the object should be placed. Don't forget the remove the comments from the file as well (else the object will not be placed).4. Compile this XML file with BGLComp and you get your BGL file to use in FS. If you don't have BGLComp already, you need to download the BGLComp SDK from MS as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,That's the reason why I stay with FS2002, h

Hi Jose,True, some things are easier using the old gamepack. But other things are easier with the new one (creating libraries or attaching effects, platforms). And if you just start with scenery design it is indeed probably easier to start with the latest techniques and don't having to worry about how different it all was in the past :)

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog