Sign in to follow this  
Guest GamePlayer

Finding the Measurements for Airport Terminals

Guest GamePlayer

I'm designing Regina Airport using Gmax but the problem is that I don't know the measurements of the terminal and I searched the Internet but can't find anything on the measurements of the terminal.

Guest rkeune

While I'm not familiar with the airport/terminal you're working on, I'd be happy to share what I do when trying to determine measurements.1. I try to collect/take as many pictures as I can of the object I'm trying to create. If you'd like to use the photos as textures, it helps to have photos taken from an angle perpendicular to the sides. Photos can be distorted to an extent if need be.2. Hopefully, in some of the photos, you'll find objects that you know, or can determine, the height, width, length of. Identify these objects and then determine the deminsions. Examples are people, doorways, mailboxes, benches, etc.3. Then, using an image software tool (ie, photoshop, etc.) you can measure the pixel dimension of the known object (from #2 above) and use that value to extrapolate the value of the dimension needed on the needed object.For example. I needed to determine the dimensions of a terminal near where I live. I have and searched the net for photos of the terminal. Some of the photos had doorways (with known dimensions) and I used the Select tool in Photoshop to draw a selection box around the doorway. Then I repeatedly pasted this same sized selection box across the entire side of the terminal building. Then with a little multiplication... poof! A fairly accurate dimension of the side of the building. Once you determine on dimension, use this process over and over to determine other measurements in other photos of the same object.Hope this helps. Good luck.-Ralph

>I'm designing Regina Airport using Gmax but the problem is>that I don't know the measurements of the terminal and I>searched the Internet but can't find anything on the>measurements of the terminal. Well, in your case I'd suggest "Google Earth". It just so hapens that there is Hi-Res coverage of the airport in Regina and you can ZOOM IN and use the integrated "Measure" tool to find the dimensions of the various buildings...at least in the X-Y plane. I'm ZOMMED at the moment and find the main terminal building to be about 373 feet by 122 feet for the "rectangular" portion of the building. There is a 67' X 84' structure on the SE end and a couple of 25' X 13' protusions off either end of the main structure. Here is the URL to the Google Earth download: http://dl.google.com/earth/GoogleEarth-0693.exe Hope this helps. I've found GoogleEarth to be a marvelous tool for many purposes. Most recently I used it to locate and annotate possible hotel choices for my trip next summer to Praha, Budapest, Vienna and sevaral areas in the Slovak Republic :) Paul A cropped and reduced screenshot is attached...

Wide-5.jpg

Guest GamePlayer

What a coincidense, I installed Google Earth on my computer yesterday before reading your response. It does seem to help with the xy axis and I corrected some measurements already and I even added more shapes to it. Thanks anyways.