Sign in to follow this  
arno

More scenery woes.... Sanderson Field FPS stuttering is...

Guest Bell206freak

Aside from my LWM/VTP scenery issues, there's another issue that has been mothering me from almost the very beginning of development on Sanderson Field.From the standpoint of default, Microsoft did such a poor job at depicting Sanderson I was almost ashamed of buying FS2004 when I first made the purchase a year ago, given the stunnig level of realism they put into Seattle-Tacoma International and Boeing Field, the two biggest airports in their backyard.When I began having success with gmax, I decided my first overhaul would be Sanderson Field, since it is a frequently used GA airport in the south Puget Sound region of Wasington State.At Sanderson, there's a series of old Navy hangars that were converted to warehouses and a manufacturing complex. The complex is essentially one very large building, ehich I had to create by modifying a series of boxes, and one cylinder.Each box was a simple 4-sided box with one height, width and length segment. I had to modify theuir shape a little bit and create a curved roof hangar over two of the boxes by slicing a cylinder in half.The problem, is that whenever I approach Sanderson and get anywhere near this building, I get a severe case of the stutters. I have cut the number of polygons on this model in half by eliminating any face that is not seen, including the faces that "sit on the ground." I have even tried texture formats from 32-bit-mipped to a DXT3 format with no luck.The buildings in question are the ones below. First is a screenshot of the default scenery and the next screenshot is the modified building. The building in question is the one with the slanted roofs.1_Sanderson_Field_Fuel_Parking_Default.jpg1_Sanderson_Field_Fuel_Parking_Revamped.jpgHere's another view, from the north looking south. First is default, then modified.1_Sanderson_Field_Port_of_Shelton_Industrial_Complex_Default.jpg1_Sanderson_Field_Port_of_Shelton_Industrial_Complex_revamped.jpgCould this be a hardware issue or a *.mdl issue?

Hi,From the images the building does not look too complex, so I would not suspect that it influences the framerates that much.Is the MDL file of this object very big? And how you designed the object nicely around the 0,0 point of GMax?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog