Sign in to follow this  
JimD737

Question: Runway Width/Size

Folks,I appreciate you reading this.Is there a theoretical limit to the width of runways?I've created a large runway which appears to be correct in AFCAD but FS9 shows the length, not the width.Thanks.Jim

Guest jimkeir

Hi,How wide are we talking? I don't remember any limitations and the width and length are stored in the same way in the BGL. Are you sure your file is being used, and you're not just seeing a default runway?Wise to bring it up, though. I've always thought width was just as important as length. :-halo (OK, it's Friday afternoon and you were all thinking it...)Cheers,Another Jim

Other Jim,Very Wide. I'm using AFCAD to create Ft Bragg drop zones which the slimmest is 1000m and the widest is 1750m (3280ft/5741ft)The lengths appear to be correct but the widths seem to be even.Thanks.Jim

Instead of a big runway, I've created a small runway and a BIG RAMP/TARMAC.Thanks for your input Other Jim.Jim Donlin

Guest Bell206freak

I don't think there'd be a limit to the size of a runway, at least from my experience. While working on my Washington State overhaul, I opened up several AFCADs in the coverage area. The Gig Harbor AFCAD file has a runway that's IIRC 4000 feet long by close to 2500 feet wide. I could be wrong, but that's the approximate size. There are no aprons because the runway surface is water, but I've tinkered with it, changing the surface type to asphalt or other rock-borne materials and saw no ill effects.

on my system.When I put a 16322ftx4265ft dirt tarmac under the existing "16322ftx4265ft" sand runway, I actually got a 250ft wide sand runway that was 16322ft long on top of the 16322ftx4265ft tarmac.I will be releasing the drop zones for Ft Bragg and two in Arkansas soon. I've finished Little Rock AFB and am almost done with Pope AFB.Thanks for responding.Jim