Sign in to follow this  
arno

Changing Airport Identifier?

Guest wildfire563

Hi,Well, I'm working on updating 8B8 Lakes Region Airport, Wolfeboro, NH, and I come to find out its identifier is now 69NH (Anyone know why?).So now I'm wondering, should I update it in FS?I see a number of possible solutions:1. Delete the airport from the AP928160.bgl. Then rename the airport in the new AFCAD with the new runway positions. This should leave only 68NH in the listing.2. Create a new 8B8 AFCAD with no runways, with airport reference point somewhere on tarmac. Create a new 69NH AFCAD in correct position, etc. with all runways, parking, etc.. This will leave both 8B8 and 68NH available in the selection list. If 8B8 has no runways, if a person selects it, aircraft will be moved to position of highest priority AFCAD reference point, as long as all delete airport info is in this new 8B8 AFCAD.3. Just leave it as 8B8 and forget the new designation.It has no instrument procedures or ILS or tower or anything. Are there any ramifications for any of these choices?I'm wavering between 1 and 2, leaning towards 1 even though I can't ship the new AP file. I can at least ship directions with how to do it. What are your thoughts?BTW, anyone have any good pictures of the airport? The Civil Air Patrol has some good aerial views, but I would like some more building detail (i.e. there's a long white building on the east side in the pics. What is it? I seem to remember a mobile home? I haven't landed there since 2000.)Thanks,Thomas

Hi Thomas,This is indeed a difficult question. I think you will only be able to really solve the problem with option 1, but I do not like to modify a default BGL file. So therefore I would prefere option 2 myself.If you start to modify the default file, why not such change the ID in there?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest wildfire563

Good point :-)I think I'm happy still having 8b8 listed anyway. I could give instructions for how to modify the default file to change it for those people who are interested.I suppose along with the AFCAD "delete flatten" and "delete background" command we are looking for for FS10, it would also be nice to have a "modify identifier" command as well.Thomas

Hi Thomas,Yes, I agree with that. It would be nice if we could exclude everything of the airport and not just the visual things.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog